[SFS] Teaching girls.

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte@gmail.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2013 01:28:36 -0600

--bcaec5523fe8bd8af604da38f705

I think that's why these rare sheilas are trying to nurture them.  I
haven't seen any indications that Nature is involved at all.

The founders of programs like this have asked, "Why should they be
interested?"  There haven't been many role models.  There is a maxim for
single women who were brave and desperate enough to resort to the
Engineering school to find a single guy: "The odds are good, but the goods
are odd."  Narrow that thinking to the Computer department, and it's
definitely a well-deserved <http://stallman.org/extra/personal.html>reputation.

Assuming that we get some sun and exercise, computer jobs pay well, and
rare ladies like these continue their programs, women will eventually
become more prevalent.  It's too bad that it didn't happen for us, but on
behalf of politically sensitive, future CS majors, I say, "Bring on the
honies!"  It will take some adjustments to have to stop using the women's
restroom in our offices for storage, but we'll figure something out.
 Hopefully we'll resist the temptation to use buckets, pulleys, and
activated charcoal.  Yes, they're freaking awesome, but... Hell, maybe this
is hopeless.  If it does work out, I think it'll be a net gain.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM, will.sterling@gmail.com <
will.sterling@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is why are they not interested?  It may include nurture and
> not just nature.
>
> On Apr 12, 2013, at 9:07 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi@anselmi.us> wrote:
>
> > I ran across this video yesterday.
> >

> http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2013/mp4/Educating_girls_about_FOSS_with_FOSS.mp4
> >
> > Perhaps it is inspiring.
> >
> > (My usual reaction to the "not enough" women in X is, "duh, they aren't
> interested in that".  It's certainly true of most women I know.  I'm sure
> that doesn't account for everyone but I wonder what percentage of CIOs
> would be women in a perfect world.)
> >
> > Dave

--bcaec5523fe8bd8af604da38f705

rture them. =A0I haven&#39;t seen any indications that Nature is involved a=
uot;Why should they be interested?&quot; =A0There haven&#39;t been many rol=
e models. =A0There is a maxim for single women who were brave and desperate=
 enough to resort to the Engineering school to find a single guy: &quot;The=
 odds are good, but the goods are odd.&quot; =A0Narrow that thinking to the=
 Computer department, and it&#39;s definitely a <a href=3D"http://stallman.=
org/extra/personal.html">well-deserved</a> reputation.</div>
ter jobs pay well, and rare ladies like these continue their programs, wome=
n will eventually become more prevalent. =A0It&#39;s too bad that it didn&#=
39;t happen for us, but on behalf of politically sensitive, future CS major=
s, I say, &quot;Bring on the honies!&quot; =A0It will take some adjustments=
 to have to stop using the women&#39;s restroom in our offices for storage,=
 but we&#39;ll figure something out. =A0Hopefully we&#39;ll resist the temp=
tation to use buckets, pulleys, and activated charcoal. =A0Yes, they&#39;re=
 freaking awesome, but... Hell, maybe this is hopeless. =A0If it does work =
out, I think it&#39;ll be a net gain.</div>
 Apr 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:will.sterling@gmail.com">will.=
sterling@gmail.com</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:will.sterlin=
g@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">will.sterling@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote=
:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The question is why are they not interested?=
 =A0It may include nurture and not just nature.<br>
On Apr 12, 2013, at 9:07 PM, David L. Anselmi &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:anselmi=
@anselmi.us">anselmi@anselmi.us</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I ran across this video yesterday.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2013/mp4/Educating=
_girls_about_FOSS_with_FOSS.mp4" target=3D"_blank">http://mirror.linux.org.=
au/linux.conf.au/2013/mp4/Educating_girls_about_FOSS_with_FOSS.mp4</a><br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Perhaps it is inspiring.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; (My usual reaction to the &quot;not enough&quot; women in X is, &quot;=
duh, they aren&#39;t interested in that&quot;. =A0It&#39;s certainly true o=
f most women I know. =A0I&#39;m sure that doesn&#39;t account for everyone =
but I wonder what percentage of CIOs would be women in a perfect world.)<br=

&gt;<br>
&gt; Dave<br>
&gt; SFS mailing list<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:SFS@thegeek.nu">SFS@thegeek.nu</a><br>