[SFS] Linux Camp Geek Retreat

David L. Willson sfs@thegeek.nu
Thu, 30 May 2013 09:30:23 -0600 (MDT)

A potential student sent me some questions, and gave me permission to share them and the answers with you. Read on if you're thinking about coming to or promoting Linux Camp.

> What level of experience would you recommend for this course? I'd
> hate
> to pay $1500+ just to find out I'm too far behind from day one.

1000+ hours of using and/or administering any Linux.

Students will be given the name of the text-book we'll be referencing, in case they want to pre-study, several weeks in advance of the class. The class will consist of micro-lectures, intense hands-on labs, and reviews. (and exams)

> Are there any specific things I can do to assist you in setting up or
> organizing the course? I'd really like to see it happen.

Yes, but I'm not sure what yet, other than paying your deposit as early as possible.

> Are you certified to teach the course for the LPIC-1 exams?

Yes, and I'll become more certified as time goes by. I've led two previous LPIC-1 certification study groups, I'm a former MCT, and have led other Linux study groups, taught other Linux classes, and I am the Linux lead here at DLX, responsible for managing, teaching, setting standards, and building stuph. AFAIK, a better Linux teacher for an avid pupil does not exist. I'm sorry if that sounds pretentious, but you asked.

Also, I expect to have two instructor's helpers, who are as qualified as I am, though differently. The quality of the teaching/coaching team is un-freaking-believable.

And, my wife is cooking. Again, you will be amazed.

> Are you certified to administer the exams?

We'll have a rep from LPI here to do that.

> What are the estimated dates for the course?

August 21-24, 10+ hours each day.

> Will the Exams (101 and 102) be included in the course cost or will
> they be extra?

I expect exams to be included, administered on-site, with free re-take vouchers for those that don't quite pass.

> Is there a website or anything like it that I could point my employer
> to, to get more information on the  LPIC course your offering? Any
> others you'd recommend that I can use to point out how inexpensive
> this is?

SFS doesn't have a web-site yet. I have a web-dev that's volunteered to help, but I haven't had time to do my own sys-admin or web design. Maybe that's where you can help?

Shop around. Google "LPIC-1 boot camp" or "linux certification boot camp" or other terms you like. I think you'll find that this class is 50-75% of the cost of anything else you'll find.

> I'm sure there are more questions to be asked but I cannot think of
> them for know.

I'm not going anywhere. Ask them as you think of them. I expect to open registration on Monday, 6/10 and to sell all 10 seats relatively quickly.