[SFS] STIG?

Matt James sfs@thegeek.nu
Thu, 7 Nov 2013 15:08:20 -0700

--047d7b15aef9c7edc404ea9d8232

The tool I have seen used by the fed is called Nessus.  For one project
they were nice enough to give us a license but not so on this project.
 It's a $1500 a year subscription that isn't currently in the budget.  I'll
keep poking.  Thanks for the feedback.

Matt

--
Go Green!  Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely
necessary.

--047d7b15aef9c7edc404ea9d8232

For one project they were nice enough to give us a license but not so on th=
is project. =A0It&#39;s a $1500 a year subscription that isn&#39;t currentl=
y in the budget. =A0I&#39;ll keep poking. =A0Thanks for the feedback.<div>

s=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM, David L. Anselmi <span di=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:anselmi@anselmi.us" target=3D"_blank">ansel=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">Matt James wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hey Linuxers,<br>
=A0 =A0 =A0I&#39;ve been working on performing a STIG for some systems and =
wondering<br>
if anyone else has had to deal with this stuff. =A0Now - Willson, calm down=
,<br>
I don&#39;t work for the DOD/NSA/etc. - but my customers have to comply wit=
h<br>
their standards and are asking for my help.<br>
I haven&#39;t worked with STIGs directly but I have seen tools that do chec=
ks for you, possibly published by NSA or NIST. =A0For one project I did the=
y measured compliance using a scan tool they had configured - eEye Retina, =
maybe (it sucked but it wasn&#39;t as bad as checking by hand).<br>

Can your customers talk to the people who require compliance and get in tou=
ch with the relevant organizations? =A0If someone were to show up to audit =
them they would likely have such a tool--maybe they&#39;ll share, or tell y=
ou where your customer can buy the right thing.<br>