[SFS] IRC

Chris Fedde sfs@thegeek.nu
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:37:24 -0700

--089e01538848e6135b04eb423123

At the moment none of us have channel ops.  I'm negotiating to get that
fixed.  As soon as I get that fixed I'll unset the registration mode.   At
the moment I'm in the hurry up and wait phase.

I see that the ip of the sender of my registration confirmation from is in
dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net
<http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/uceprotect>and no other list
checked by
http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check.  (the sender IP was
198.50.184.119)

IRC is a highly distributed service.  do 'dig irc.freenode.net' to see a
list of some of the servers that participate.  This does not however have
much relation to the source of the confirmation email.

I've given up on the bot I was going to use to manage ops.  I'll be
continuing work in a different tack as time and availability allows.

I'd recommend not giving up on freenode yet. It is the current best managed
IRC network available today.  Perhaps that is not saying much but it does
afford us a bit more support than we might want to manage our self?  A
public IRC server becomes a conduit for wares, spam and other nefarious
uses.  I'd just as soon let others take on that responsibility.

That's my $0.02
chris

--089e01538848e6135b04eb423123

 negotiating to get that fixed.=A0 As soon as I get that fixed I&#39;ll uns=
et the registration mode.=A0=A0 At the moment I&#39;m in the hurry up and w=
ait phase.<br>
ion from is in <a href=3D"http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist/uceprotect=
">dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net</a> and no other list checked by <a href=3D"http:/=
/whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check">http://whatismyipaddress.com/blackl=
ist-check</a>.=A0 (the sender IP was 198.50.184.119)<br>
=3D"http://irc.freenode.net">irc.freenode.net</a>&#39; to see a list of som=
e of the servers that participate.=A0 This does not however have much relat=
ion to the source of the confirmation email.<br>
s.=A0 I&#39;ll be continuing work in a different tack as time and availabil=
et. It is the current best managed IRC network available today.=A0 Perhaps =
that is not saying much but it does afford us a bit more support than we mi=
ght want to manage our self?=A0 A public IRC server becomes a conduit for w=
ares, spam and other nefarious uses.=A0 I&#39;d just as soon let others tak=
e on that responsibility.<br>

--089e01538848e6135b04eb423123--