[SFS] OpenStack Lab

Maxwell Spangler sfs@thegeek.nu
Tue, 15 Oct 2013 14:05:07 -0600

--=-LeLaYTgr7oTVcniUMr8O

This is on my to-do list.

Older AMD Phenom I, Phenom II or Opteron processors are the cheapest CPU
and they do virtualization wonderfully.

Choosing a Phenom II processor gives you easy access to DDR3 which means
low-cost RAM.  Phenom I CPUs, while available at lower prices, often use
DDR2 which is quite expensive especially when you want to use 4G DIMMs
or greater.

So my suggestion would be 2009-2011 era 4 or 6 core Phenom II based
desktops with 4x4G DDR3 or more.  My home lab is 3x Phenom I systems
with 6-8G of RAM each and my main desktop which is Phenom II with 12G of
RAM.

Disk is irrelevant since you don't use much for OpenStack exploration.
It's really CPU, RAM and networking that matter.

Finally, if you use OpenStack using Xen instead of KVM, you shouldn't
even need hardware.  You should be able to build one big box and put
different OpenStack nodes within virtual machines and create Xen VMs
within the OpenStack VM's environment.   I just installed Citrix
Xenserver *inside* a KVM VM this morning and expect to spin up Xen VMs
within it later this week for testing.

Finally, there are now pre-packaged tools like packstack which made the
process of installing and configuring OpenStack easier than before.  Red
Hat produces one of these and a recent Webinar I watched made it look
fairly easy.

Cheers,

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing

--=-LeLaYTgr7oTVcniUMr8O

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
This is on my to-do list.<BR>
<BR>
Older AMD Phenom I, Phenom II or Opteron processors are the cheapest CPU and they do virtualization wonderfully.<BR>
<BR>
Choosing a Phenom II processor gives you easy access to DDR3 which means low-cost RAM.&nbsp; Phenom I CPUs, while available at lower prices, often use DDR2 which is quite expensive especially when you want to use 4G DIMMs or greater.<BR>
<BR>
So my suggestion would be 2009-2011 era 4 or 6 core Phenom II based desktops with 4x4G DDR3 or more.&nbsp; My home lab is 3x Phenom I systems with 6-8G of RAM each and my main desktop which is Phenom II with 12G of RAM.<BR>
<BR>
Disk is irrelevant since you don't use much for OpenStack exploration.&nbsp; It's really CPU, RAM and networking that matter.<BR>
<BR>
Finally, if you use OpenStack using Xen instead of KVM, you shouldn't even need hardware.&nbsp; You should be able to build one big box and put different OpenStack nodes within virtual machines and create Xen VMs within the OpenStack VM's environment.&nbsp;&nbsp; I just installed Citrix Xenserver *inside* a KVM VM this morning and expect to spin up Xen VMs within it later this week for testing.<BR>
<BR>
Finally, there are now pre-packaged tools like packstack which made the process of installing and configuring OpenStack easier than before.&nbsp; Red Hat produces one of these and a recent Webinar I watched made it look fairly easy.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>