[SFS] disambiguation

Chris Fedde sfs@thegeek.nu
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:00:07 -0600

--089e0158b86685632004e94ac248

Since you bring up Randal Schwartz I'll bring up something from another
Perl luminary:  Damian Conway has introduced the idea of a Quantum
Superposition in programming languages.  The idea is that a thing can have
more than one value at a time.  I'm pretty confident that I am strongly in
favor of useful ambiguity.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson@thegeek.nu>wrote:

> I like to preserve the ambiguity of the what the TLA SFS stands for.
>
> I say Software Freedom School, Society, Saturdays, and Sessions...
> Sometimes, I even say that it stands for "Software Freedom Something". But,
> don't let that lead you into thinking that I'm not sure of the purpose of
> SFS. That is very clear to me, though sometimes it's hard for me to
> articulate. SFS's raison d'etre is to teach the world how to use free
> software, and more importantly, why to choose free software.
>
> Randall Schwartz of the FLOSS Weekly always asks this question, "What
> problem does your project try to solve?"
>
> Our project tries to solve the problem of free software illiteracy. We try
> to make free software easier for schools, for businesses, for amateurs and
> acolytes, by sharing what we know, and building on it, and re-sharing. We
> reinforce the important bit, that "free" means "libre", though it usually
> also comes "gratis".
>
> When forced to disambiguate, I'll say SFS stands for "Software Freedom
> School", because it is only here to teach the world about free software.
> When the software world has gotten over it's dis-trust model, when
> honorable behavior is expected, not because of a rich tapestry of IP law,
> but because it's normal, and few people choose to do business with
> schmucks, when ideas and knowledge are no longer jealously guarded, but
> instead are zealously shared, our mission will be accomplished, and we can
> move on to something new, but something tells me we'll be working on this
> mission for a long while.
>
> --
> David L. Willson
> Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
> RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCLA
> Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
>
> This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

--089e0158b86685632004e94ac248

something from another Perl luminary: =A0Damian Conway has introduced the i=
dea of a Quantum Superposition in programming languages. =A0The idea is tha=
t a thing can have more than one value at a time. =A0I&#39;m pretty confide=
nt that I am strongly in favor of useful ambiguity.</div>
 Oct 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM, David L. Willson <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:DLWillson@thegeek.nu" target=3D"_blank">DLWillson@thegeek.nu</a>&gt=
;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-famil=
y:Times New Roman">I like to preserve the ambiguity of the what the TLA SFS=
 stands for.<br>
times, I even say that it stands for &quot;Software Freedom Something&quot;=
. But, don&#39;t let that lead you into thinking that I&#39;m not sure of t=
he purpose of SFS. That is very clear to me, though sometimes it&#39;s hard=
 for me to articulate. SFS&#39;s raison d&#39;etre<span> is to teach the wo=
rld how to use free software, and more importantly, why to choose free soft=
ware.<br>
hat problem does your project try to solve?&quot;<br><br>Our project tries =
to solve the problem of free software illiteracy. We try to make free softw=
are easier for schools, for businesses, for amateurs and acolytes, by shari=
ng what we know, and building on it, and re-sharing. We reinforce the impor=
tant bit, that &quot;free&quot; means &quot;libre&quot;, though it usually =
also comes &quot;gratis&quot;.<br>
 Freedom School&quot;, because it is only here to teach the world about fre=
e software. When the software world has gotten over it&#39;s dis-trust mode=
l, when honorable behavior is expected, not because of a rich tapestry of I=
P law, but because it&#39;s normal, and few people choose to do business wi=
th schmucks, when ideas and knowledge are no longer jealously guarded, but =
instead are zealously shared, our mission will be accomplished, and we can =
move on to something new, but something tells me we&#39;ll be working on th=
is mission for a long while.<br>
angelist<br>RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCL=

--089e0158b86685632004e94ac248--