[SFS] helpdesk / hacker hours

sfs@thegeek.nu sfs@thegeek.nu
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:11:20 -0600

If we use freenode they already have a web client.

"Byrne, Kevin" <Kevin.Byrne@rtd-denver.com> wrote:

If someone cannot figure out how to log into an IRC channel to ask Linux questions, maybe we should point that person to the fine selection of Apple products available to them. ☺

Though I do like the web client idea, as corporate firewalls are not always IRC friendly.

Kevin Byrne
Computer Support Analyst

Regional Transportation District
1900 31st street | Denver, CO 80216  | RTD MC: DO-M2
303.299.6193 (O) | 303.299.6191 (F) | 720.394.0037 (C)
[cid:image001.jpg@01CEAE27.18344780]

From: sfs-admin@thegeek.nu [mailto:sfs-admin@thegeek.nu] On Behalf Of David L. Willson
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:01 PM
To: sfs
Subject: [SFS] helpdesk / hacker hours

What if we took it in turns to run an IRC channel? People could come in between 6PM and 10PM any week-night and be guaranteed to have a free software fellow around to field their question.

oldbies: Would that be fun? Would you want to try it?

newbies: Would you use a service like that? OK, what if there were a web-hosted, preconfigured IRC client, so you don't have to figure out the IRC thing, just go to our web-site, type in your name or pseudonym and click "help".

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.