[SFS] Question About Licensing

Andy Leitermann andyleitermann@gmail.com
Thu, 22 May 2014 11:13:21 -0600

--001a11c1326adc331b04fa003a6f

As I've been starting a github profile I came across a dilemma regarding
which license to use.

I have a bit of a unique view on IP - I like the GPL, but I don't believe
people should be forced to share the source of derivative works (although I
strongly encourage it!).

The closest license I could find was Creative Commons Share-Alike
Attribution (although the attribution wouldn't be strictly necessary as far
as I'm concerned). But the license was written with creative works in mind
rather than software code, so I'm a bit worried there might be unintended
consequences using that license.

So does anyone happen to know of any way that using that license would be
'broken' for licensing code rather than, say videos, music, or images?

Also, does anyone know of another license I might be able to use that would
fulfill those requirements? I've looked everywhere I could but found
nothing other than the CC-SA-A.

Here's one of the main tools I used for searching:
http://choosealicense.com/licenses/

Thanks!

--001a11c1326adc331b04fa003a6f

bit of a unique view on IP - I like the GPL, but I don&#39;t believe people=
 should be forced to share the source of derivative works (although I stron=
gly encourage it!).=C2=A0</div>
hare-Alike Attribution (although the attribution wouldn&#39;t be strictly n=
ecessary as far as I&#39;m concerned). But the license was written with cre=
ative works in mind rather than software code, so I&#39;m a bit worried the=
re might be unintended consequences using that license.=C2=A0</div>
t license would be &#39;broken&#39; for licensing code rather than, say vid=
w of another license I might be able to use that would fulfill those requir=
ements? I&#39;ve looked everywhere I could but found nothing other than the=
 CC-SA-A.=C2=A0</div>
=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://choosealicense.com/licenses/">http://choosealicense=

--001a11c1326adc331b04fa003a6f--