[SFS] When was this server "born"?

David L. Willson dlwillson@sofree.us
Wed, 5 Aug 2015 14:13:27 -0600 (MDT)

BCC: LPIC-1 Study Group

"Born On Date"

Sometimes it's useful to know when this server was "born", when it was built. Usually, you also want to know who built it, so you know who to question or kick, but that's a topic for another day.

The root filesystem was usually created on the same day, so that is the date I use. To get that date, if your root filesystem is ext2/3/4, run dumpe2fs and look for 'created'.

Here's an example:

[dwills003c@wdv-logecoll nagios]$ sudo df -hT /
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdi6     ext3     70G   32G   35G  48% /
[dwills003c@wdv-logecoll nagios]$ sudo /sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/sdi6 | grep -iC 3 created
dumpe2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         32736
Inode blocks per group:   1023
Filesystem created:       Tue Jan 25 06:44:25 2011
Last mount time:          Fri Jul 31 09:02:54 2015
Last write time:          Fri Jul 31 09:02:54 2015
Mount count:              10

Now, Fedora Server 22 and Enterprise Linux 7 have moved to xfs. How do you get the same information from it? I don't know... yet.