[SFS] facebook, screenshot scripts, and things

David L. Willson DLWillson@TheGeek.NU
Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:11:43 -0600 (MDT)

Well, we have the mailing list, but it seems to me that there's at least a few things missing by having this as the "community center" for SFS, that would remain missing if we switched to a newsgroup.

Anonymity. I'd love for people to be able to say things like "Let's have a barbecue. --Freddie" without having to join anything or authenticate.

Traffic. Generally, I wish folks would post more. I want to know what people are curious about. I think this ML can intimidate newbies into silence without meaning to. I wish there were more "How do I?" and "Does anyone want to?" and "Hey, look what I just learned!". I wonder if a change of venue would create a more welcoming feel, especially for newbies, but oldbies, too.

Upvotes/Downvotes. Sometimes, you want to +1/like a thing, or -1/dislike it. News and mail are not well-suited to that.

History. Sometimes, you want to search history. All of history, not just "since I was born". News is good at that, but mail is less good. BBS style forums are excellent at it.

Multimedia. I love pictures and movies. I love to see what my friends love, and especially what they've made, but not everyone has their own blog, to which to link. Maybe someone wants to share a book, a picture, a song, or a video related to SFS and/or software freedom? News and mail are not well suited.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.