[SFS] Free Software for Music Server?

Mike Shoup mike@shouptech.com
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:11:59 -0600

--047d7b15b04da7947905128c1f90

Plex is a great server for streaming to all your devices in the house, with
apps for Roku, Android and many other devices. It will probably do what you
want, however, it is not exactly free software. I know the app for Android
requires a subscription to their Plex Pass service.

I've used universal media server to stream video to my Playstation 3. It
can also stream music, to any DLNA compatbile device. I don't think it will
do it over the web.

I wonder if Ampache will do what you want? http://ampache.org/index.html

In fact, Ampache looks pretty sweet. I may have to play with it.

Mike

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson@thegeek.nu>
wrote:

> I'm trying to solve what I think is an interesting problem. Since I love
> interesting problems, I figure you might, too, and maybe one of you already
> knows a good solution or a part of it.
>
> Mrs. Willson and I have a pretty large collection of music files (mp3,
> ogg, and flac).
>
> We'd like to add to it from our CD collection. That's pretty easy.
>
> We'd also like to use the collection from any old computer, iPhone, or
> Android. Less easy.
>
> And wouldn't it be great if we could enjoy our videos the same way, and
> easily add any of our DVD's or Blu-Ray's to that collection. Yeah, not so
> easy, as far as I can tell.
>
> And then, wouldn't it be especially great if we could do our own "Internet
> Radio" station, queuing (and maybe uploading) tracks for each other to
> listen to, like turntable.fm used to?
>
> I've played with Kodi (f.k.a. XBMC) and it does a few of these things, but
> not all. The other day, someone mentioned Plex, but I have no idea what
> that does. I *finally* got time to load OwnCloud, which I thought would be
> perfect for this, but it's really not, or I haven't figured it out yet.
>
> Does anything do it all? Is there anything you've used, that is great for
> this sort of thing?
>
> --
> David L. Willson
> Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
> RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCLA
> Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
> http://sofree.us
>
> This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

--047d7b15b04da7947905128c1f90

o all your devices in the house, with apps for Roku, Android and many other=
 devices. It will probably do what you want, however, it is not exactly fre=
e software. I know the app for Android requires a subscription to their Ple=
 video to my Playstation 3. It can also stream music, to any DLNA compatbil=
er if Ampache will do what you want? <a href=3D"http://ampache.org/index.ht=
 2015 at 6:14 PM, David L. Willson <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
DLWillson@thegeek.nu" target=3D"_blank">DLWillson@thegeek.nu</a>&gt;</span>=
 wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.=
8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div styl=
e=3D"font-family:times new roman,new york,times,serif;font-size:12pt;color:=
rgb(0,0,0)">I&#39;m trying to solve what I think is an interesting problem.=
 Since I love interesting problems, I figure you might, too, and maybe one =
of you already knows a good solution or a part of it.<br><br>Mrs. Willson a=
nd I have a pretty large collection of music files (mp3, ogg, and flac).<br=
asy.<br><br>We&#39;d also like to use the collection from any old computer,=
 iPhone, or Android. Less easy.<br><br>And wouldn&#39;t it be great if we c=
ould enjoy our videos the same way, and easily add any of our DVD&#39;s or =
Blu-Ray&#39;s to that collection. Yeah, not so easy, as far as I can tell.<=
br><br>And then, wouldn&#39;t it be especially great if we could do our own=
 &quot;Internet Radio&quot; station, queuing (and maybe uploading) tracks f=
or each other to listen to, like <a href=3D"http://turntable.fm" target=3D"=
XBMC) and it does a few of these things, but not all. The other day, someon=
e mentioned Plex, but I have no idea what that does. I *finally* got time t=
o load OwnCloud, which I thought would be perfect for this, but it&#39;s re=
ally not, or I haven&#39;t figured it out yet.<br><br>Does anything do it a=
ll? Is there anything you&#39;ve used, that is great for this sort of thing=
gineer, Evangelist<br>RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuC=
P NovellCLA<br>Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)<br><a href=3D"http://sofree.us" ta=

--047d7b15b04da7947905128c1f90--