[SFS] Trouble with CentOS7 box with 3 monitors ...

Matt Dew marcoz@osource.org
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:54:55 -0600

--001a114e3e08197366053b62a2a0

Thanks all.
  Yep, switching distros did the job.  He tried Mint and it just worked.
 2 days of massive headaches and frustration with CentOS.   Tried Mint, 10
mins later he was up and running.

thanks for the replies,
Matt

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Matt James <matuse@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll echo some of Davide's comments with my suggestions:
>
> 1) Try a different distro - I've hit many hardware issues that were
> easily identified as software / driver limitations by using this
> troubleshooting option.  That is to say if it works on one distro and
> not another, you know you're battling a kernel / driver issue - not an
> issue with the hardware itself.  You could even try (I'm ashamed that
> I'm suggesting this on a Linux list..) loading up Winblows to see if
> everything "just works."
>
> 2) I've also had issues with multiples of identical graphics cards.
> You might start by checking to see if they play nice running ONE
> display off of each card.  If you can't make the two play nice
> together, first try putting them in different slots (could be an IRQ
> sharing type of issue). From there, I would try swapping one of the
> cards for a different brand and / or try the on-board video card if it
> has one.  This will tell you if you're fighting hardware limitations.
>
> HTH
>
> Matt James
> 303-949-7659
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Davide Del Vento
> <davide.del.vento@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not sure with NVIDIA, however I always struggled with having more than
> > 2 monitors on my laptops. Until I realized that my graphic card on the
> > laptop (intel chip) did not support more than 2 screens being "on" at
> > the same time (I could hook 3 monitors just fine and use the GUI to
> > select which ones to use, but if I switched "on" more than two, it did
> > not work -- any other combination worked). Then, with latest laptop my
> > employer gave me (still with intel graphic card), everything worked
> > out of the box on first attempt MATE install. Upon closer examination
> > of some very hidden specs of the chipset, this one supports 3 monitors
> > and the previous ones did not.
> >
> > So I suggest you FIRST google the EXACT chipset of your cards and make
> sure that
> > a) it supports 3 monitors at the resolution you want (both individual
> > screen resolutions and total number of horizontal and vertical pixels)
> > b) anyone has been able to hook them up with 3 monitors with hw
> > configuration as close to yours as possible (maybe even on MS
> > windows).
> >
> > After that, I suggest that you try some more-hw-friendly distro (e.g.
> > ubuntu), maybe off a live DVD, to see if it works. Often, if it
> > doesn't work out of the box with the latest Ubuntu, 95% you can't make
> > it work in any other way, so give up and stop struggling.
> >
> > After that's done, you can start investigating how to make it work in
> > your favorite distro. Often, you need a newer kernel and the
> > corresponding newer drivers.
> >
> > Good luck.
> > Davide
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:09 PM, marcoz <marcoz@osource.org> wrote:
> >> Hi all,

> [...]

=C2=A0 He tried Mint and it just worked. =C2=A0 =C2=A02 days of massive hea=
daches and frustration with CentOS. =C2=A0 Tried Mint, 10 mins later he was=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Matt James <span dir=3D"l=
tr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:matuse@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">matuse@gmail.=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;ll echo s=
ome of Davide&#39;s comments with my suggestions:<br>
1) Try a different distro - I&#39;ve hit many hardware issues that were<br>
easily identified as software / driver limitations by using this<br>
troubleshooting option.=C2=A0 That is to say if it works on one distro and<=
br>
not another, you know you&#39;re battling a kernel / driver issue - not an<=
br>
issue with the hardware itself.=C2=A0 You could even try (I&#39;m ashamed t=
hat<br>
I&#39;m suggesting this on a Linux list..) loading up Winblows to see if<br=

everything &quot;just works.&quot;<br>
2) I&#39;ve also had issues with multiples of identical graphics cards.<br>
You might start by checking to see if they play nice running ONE<br>
display off of each card.=C2=A0 If you can&#39;t make the two play nice<br>
together, first try putting them in different slots (could be an IRQ<br>
sharing type of issue). From there, I would try swapping one of the<br>
cards for a different brand and / or try the on-board video card if it<br>
has one.=C2=A0 This will tell you if you&#39;re fighting hardware limitatio=
ns.<br>
HTH<br>
Matt James<br>
On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Davide Del Vento<br>
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:davide.del.vento@gmail.com">davide.del.vento@gmail.co=
m</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Not sure with NVIDIA, however I always struggled with having more than=
&gt; 2 monitors on my laptops. Until I realized that my graphic card on the=
&gt; laptop (intel chip) did not support more than 2 screens being &quot;on=
&quot; at<br>
&gt; the same time (I could hook 3 monitors just fine and use the GUI to<br=

&gt; select which ones to use, but if I switched &quot;on&quot; more than t=
wo, it did<br>
&gt; not work -- any other combination worked). Then, with latest laptop my=
&gt; employer gave me (still with intel graphic card), everything worked<br=

&gt; out of the box on first attempt MATE install. Upon closer examination<=
br>
&gt; of some very hidden specs of the chipset, this one supports 3 monitors=
&gt; and the previous ones did not.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So I suggest you FIRST google the EXACT chipset of your cards and make=
 sure that<br>
&gt; a) it supports 3 monitors at the resolution you want (both individual<=
br>
&gt; screen resolutions and total number of horizontal and vertical pixels)=
&gt; b) anyone has been able to hook them up with 3 monitors with hw<br>
&gt; configuration as close to yours as possible (maybe even on MS<br>
&gt; windows).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; After that, I suggest that you try some more-hw-friendly distro (e.g.<=
br>
&gt; ubuntu), maybe off a live DVD, to see if it works. Often, if it<br>
&gt; doesn&#39;t work out of the box with the latest Ubuntu, 95% you can&#3=
9;t make<br>
&gt; it work in any other way, so give up and stop struggling.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; After that&#39;s done, you can start investigating how to make it work=
 in<br>
&gt; your favorite distro. Often, you need a newer kernel and the<br>
&gt; corresponding newer drivers.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Good luck.<br>
&gt; Davide<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 9:09 PM, marcoz &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marcoz@o=
source.org">marcoz@osource.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi all,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;=C2=A0 I&#39;m usually just a lurker on this list but I&#39;ve got =
a problem. One of my<br>
&gt;&gt; coworkers has spent 2 days trying to get a new HP machine up and r=
unning<br>
&gt;&gt; with his 3 monitor setup, with no luck. Google has been no help. H=
e&#39;s about<br>
&gt;&gt; to lose his mind.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Has anyone worked with a 3-monitor setup? If so, might you be able=
 to help?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; It&#39;s 2 identical Nvidia GeFoce 7xxx PCIe cards, if that matter=
s/helps.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; thanks for any help or suggestions,<br>
&gt;&gt; Matt<br>
&gt;&gt; SFS mailing list<br>
&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:SFS@thegeek.nu">SFS@thegeek.nu</a><br>
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.thegeek.nu/<wbr>mailman/listin=