[SFS] Buying the Raspberry Pi 3

David L. Willson dlwillson@sofree.us
Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:12:48 -0600 (MDT)

The Raspberry Pi is the best, most fun platform for learning computer programming, low-level I/O, robotics, and Linux system administration, ever. You cannot spend less money and learn more, unless you already have a bunch of gear and you're just not using it.

One of my friends on the DenHac member list shared this link to a local seller of the Pi 3.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/460968/Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B

If you have a little more money and want a breadboard, buttons, and lights to get started with, consider the Pi Starter Kit from SparkFun, instead.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13826

If you're more advanced in robotics and I/O, and/or your standards for hardware freedom are very high, consider the BeagleBone series, instead.

Learn about the Black: https://beagleboard.org/

Buy the Black: http://www.microcenter.com/product/434844/element_14_beaglebone_black_-_revision_4

Learn about the Green: https://beagleboard.org/green

Buy the Green: http://www.robotshop.com/en/beagleboard-beaglebone-green-development-platform.html