[SFS] Upcoming Events: GitLab, DevOps, Method

David L. Willson dlwillson at sofree.us
Wed Apr 24 08:50:48 MDT 2019

# Upcoming Events

Would you rather view the Upcoming Events in your browser? [Click here](https://gitlab.com/sofreeus/sofreeus/blob/master/upcoming-events.md)!

## Highlights
- [DevOps Days Denver](https://www.devopsdays.org/events/2019-denver/) is *next* *week*! Who is attending? Kim Schlesinger, one of our teachers, is doing a talk on how to train up junior SREs, go see her!
- [Open Infrastructure Summit](https://www.openstack.org/summit/denver-2019) too! Special discount to SFS Members ends Saturday! Use discount code USERGROUP_15
- We do on-site, custom classes. Just ask Captains at SoFree.Us.
- Got a passion for something free-libre and want to share it? [Join the Teachers ML](lists.sofree.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sfs-teachers)

---

## AGHI2 GitLab and GitLab.com

During this gentle, hands-on introduction to GitLab
We'll create pretend products (probably cheese sandwiches or pies).
We'll create product teams.
We'll iterate on our pretend products so quickly that our BitBucket/GitHub using competition will be driven into financial distress and then we will poach their developers. Muhhahah!
And a whole lot more....

In process of partnering with GitLab to host/sponsor this event! Stay tuned for the details.

Saturday, May 4th
9AM - 1PM MST
at Code Talent

$32 or PWYC

[RSVP Here](https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/257902517/)

## Intro to DevOps with Silvia, Kim, Anthony, and Aaron

2nd run! We'll use Linux, Bash, Git, Gitlab, Docker, and AWS to create minimum viable DevOps continuous integration pipelines on our laptops. This class is based on content created by Aaron Brown, systems engineer and VP of DevOps at Flowhub.com. Aaron will be on-hand for questions and discussion.

Saturday, May 18, 2019
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM

Code Talent
3412 Blake St ยท Denver, CO

$256 or PWYC

[RSVP Here](https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/260063098/)

## SFS Method

If you've worked in tech for any length of time, you probably notice you have to keep constantly learning new things. One of those things should be how to teach the things
you know. This makes you a more effective communicator which is crucial to career development. Not to mention teaching is a great way to reinforce your own learning.

Wednesday, May 29th
6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
at The Comfy Room (SFS HQ)
or in Zoom

$32 or PWYC

[RSVP Here](https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/259881465/)

---

## Events In-planning

You can't RSVP to these yet.

* Ansible by Alex Wise! TBD
* Some kind of Red Hat day? This came up recently and I like the idea. If interested in this, let us know at captains at sofree.us

If you don't see what you want, make a wish! The captains at sofree.us love requests!

## Reminders

* We are lifelong learners. Please share learning opportunities, even if they're not produced by SFS.
* We are friends. You can post just about anything, but if it doesn't have to do with learning free-libre software, stick an "OT:" in front of it.
* We are professionals (when we must be). Please post your help wanted and job wanted here.
* Come hang out with us in [Mattermost](https://mm.sofree.us/sfs-team/channels/town-square)!