[SFS] Upcoming Events : Python, Openstack, SNOW?!

SFS Heather hlwillson at sofree.us
Tue Sep 8 13:16:30 MDT 2020

[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#upcoming-events ] Upcoming Events

Would you rather view the Upcoming Events in your browser? [ https://gitlab.com/sofreeus/sofreeus/blob/master/upcoming-events.md | Click here ] ! [ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#highlights ] Highlights

    * Ed Schaefer's Open Broadcaster Software class was a hit! Thanks Ed for getting people excited about OBS!
    * Crazy weather! 100 to 34 in less than 48 hours y'all. Hope you're sunscreened and mittened up. Hehehe
    * Our Python Peer-led study group has 64 people registered on Meetup. If you're one of them: AWESOME! If you can't make it please unregister because we have a waiting list. Yowza!
    * Seagate is hiring a test engineer on Matt James' team
    * [ https://seagate.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/EXT/job/Longmont-United-States/Staff-Engineer--Solution-Test-Automation_201516 | https://seagate.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/EXT/job/Longmont-United-States/Staff-Engineer--Solution-Test-Automation_201516 ]
    * Other CO opportunities can be found here: [ https://seagate.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/EXT/1/refreshFacet/318c8bb6f553100021d223d9780d30be | https://seagate.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/EXT/1/refreshFacet/318c8bb6f553100021d223d9780d30be ]
    * If you would like a reference, please send Matt an e-mail ( [ mailto:matt.james at seagate.com | matt.james at seagate.com ] ) first and he'd be happy to help you out.
    * SFS events continue to be online-only for the near term

[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#upcoming-classes ] UPCOMING CLASSES
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-python-peer-led-study-group-8-week-study-group ] ONLINE: Python Peer-led Study Group (8 week study group)

It's time to start consuming the snake! Python is one of the most popular and versatile (not to mention powerful) programming languages around. At least that's what you've heard, right? Well, it's time to find out for sure, and we're all going to do it together.

The Software Freedom School is hosting a Python Study Group. This will be a peer led event, meeting every Thursday night from 6:00-9:00pm, starting on September 10th, for 8 weeks. Due to current circumstances there will be no in-person option, so we will all be attending via web conferencing tools.

Who's teaching this you ask? We all are. This is a peer led event, and that means we're all here to help each other. We will be working out of the "Python Crash Course" book by Eric Matthes. Be sure to pick up a copy from Amazon, or where ever you like to get your geek reading materials.

The cost of attendance is PWYW (Pay What You Want) from $0-256. Just remember that there are infrastructure and hosting costs incurred by the Software Freedom School, so any contributions are much appreciated. Buying the book is your responsibility though.

Hyperlink to book on Amazon: [ https://www.amazon.com/Python-Crash-Course-2nd-Edition/dp/1593279280/ | https://www.amazon.com/Python-Crash-Course-2nd-Edition/dp/1593279280/ ]

Link to the online survey: [ https://tinyurl.com/SFSPython | https://tinyurl.com/SFSPython ]

Register on Meetup ( [ https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/hxnkxrybcmbnb/ | https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/hxnkxrybcmbnb/ ] )
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-openstack-free-software-clouds-with-david-l-willson ] ONLINE: OpenStack: Free Software Clouds with David L. Willson

OpenStack clouds are much freer and maybe fluffier. Let's use them, instead of un-free clouds.

We will use an existing OpenStack cluster to provision a stack manually, and if time allows, by template, too.

We will manage Projects, Users, Instances, Elastic IP, and Security Groups, from the GUI, CLI, and if time allows, from a HEAT OpenStack Template.

Bring a machine with a web browser and a secure shell client.

David has been using and assisting others with Free Software like Linux for more than 20 years, and operating the Software Freedom School ( [ http://www.sofree.us/ | http://www.sofree.us/ ] ) since 2013.

This class is in development; your suggestions and feedback are wanted! If there’s a particular feature of OpenStack that you would like to see highlighted, please say so early, so we can try to plan it in.

Register on Meetup ( [ https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/272644680/ | https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/272644680/ ] ) [ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#october-classes-postings-will-be-up-soon ] OCTOBER CLASSES (postings will be up soon)
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-2020-10-03-prometheus-grafana-and-friends ] ONLINE: 2020-10-03 Prometheus, Grafana, and Friends
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-2020-10-17-intro-to-devops ] ONLINE: 2020-10-17 Intro to DevOps

If you don't see what you want, send your wish to [ mailto:captains at sofree.us | captains at sofree.us ] ! We definitely take requests! [ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#reminders ] Reminders

    * We are lifelong learners. Please share learning opportunities, even if they're not produced by SFS.
    * We are professionals. Your "help wanted" and "job wanted" posts are welcome.
    * Come hang out with us in [ http://mm.sofree.us/sfs-team/channels/town-square | Mattermost ] !
Heather L. Willson
Software Freedom School
303-229-3633