[SFS] SFS Upcoming Events: Python, I2DO, and Friends

SFS Heather hlwillson at sofree.us
Tue Sep 22 12:25:30 MDT 2020

Upcoming Events

Would you rather view the Upcoming Events in your browser? [ https://gitlab.com/sofreeus/sofreeus/blob/master/upcoming-events.md | Click here ] ! [ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#highlights ] Highlights

    * Software Freedom Day was September 19, 2020. Did you celebrate? It's not too late!
    * TODAY is autumnal equinox! No big pig roasts this year but what glorious weather it is to have your own cookout!
    * OpenStack ran last Saturday! YES!
    * Help promote our classes by sharing the Meetup links on our FB ( [ https://www.facebook.com/softwarefreedomschool/?view_public_for=1409254222735496 | https://www.facebook.com/softwarefreedomschool/?view_public_for=1409254222735496 ] ), LinkedIn (ask to link with me linkedin.com/in/heatherwillson), or resharing on our twiiter account (SFS303)
    * Intr to DevOps (ONLINE) is coming up on October 17th. Get your boss to send you, ask your friends to come. You guys ... it rock!
    * If there is a link in the Meetup posting for a sign in sheet PLEASE take a minute or two to fill it out. It really helps us!

[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#upcoming-classes ] UPCOMING CLASSES
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-python-peer-led-study-group-8-week-study-group-thursday-2020-09-24 ] ONLINE: Python Peer-led Study Group (8 week study group) Thursday 2020-09-24

It's time to start consuming the snake! Python is one of the most popular and versatile (not to mention powerful) programming languages around. At least that's what you've heard, right? Well, it's time to find out for sure, and we're all going to do it together.

The Software Freedom School is hosting a Python Study Group. This will be a peer led event, meeting every Thursday night from 6:00-9:00pm, starting on September 10th, for 8 weeks. Due to current circumstances there will be no in-person option, so we will all be attending via web conferencing tools.

Who's teaching this you ask? We all are. This is a peer led event, and that means we're all here to help each other. We will be working out of the "Python Crash Course" book by Eric Matthes. Be sure to pick up a copy from Amazon, or where ever you like to get your geek reading materials.

The cost of attendance is PWYW (Pay What You Want) from $0-256. Just remember that there are infrastructure and hosting costs incurred by the Software Freedom School, so any contributions are much appreciated. Buying the book is your responsibility though.

Hyperlink to book on Amazon: [ https://www.amazon.com/Python-Crash-Course-2nd-Edition/dp/1593279280/ | https://www.amazon.com/Python-Crash-Course-2nd-Edition/dp/1593279280/ ]

Link to the online survey: [ https://tinyurl.com/SFSPython | https://tinyurl.com/SFSPython ]

[ https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/rjrlxrybcmbgc/ | Register on Meetup ]

[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#october-classes-postings-will-be-up-soon ] OCTOBER CLASSES (postings will be up soon)
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-2020-10-03-monitoring-alerting-and-dashboards-with-prometheus-grafana-and-friends ] ONLINE: 2020-10-03 Monitoring, Alerting, and Dashboards with Prometheus, Grafana, and friends

Mike Shoup, Justin Lang, and David L. Willson will deliver a hands-on workshop in which you will experience the beauty and utility of metrics-based monitoring with Prometheus, Grafana, and friends.

[ https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/273211086/ | Register on Meetup ]
[ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#online-2020-10-17-intro-to-devops-with-gitlab-and-kubernetes ] ONLINE: 2020-10-17 Intro to DevOps with GitLab and Kubernetes

Aaron and Anthony deliver the full-day Intro to DevOps class that everyone loves. [ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#register-on-meetupthis-class-has-a-sfs-sign-in-page-please-complete-it-after-registering-though-meetup-the-link-is-in-the-post ] [ https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/273214581/ | Register on Meetup ] This class has a SFS sign in page. Please complete it after registering though Meetup. The link is in the post.

If you don't see what you want, send your wish to [ mailto:captains at sofree.us | captains at sofree.us ] ! We definitely take requests! [ https://blue.sofree.us:8443/#reminders ] Reminders

    * We are lifelong learners. Please share learning opportunities, even if they're not produced by SFS.
    * We are professionals. Your "help wanted" and "job wanted" posts are welcome.
    * Come hang out with us in [ https://mattermost.sofree.us/sfs303/channels/town-square | Mattermost ] !

Heather L. Willson
Software Freedom School
303-229-3633