[SFS] Who wants to help me put spam-resistant trousers on lists.sofree.us?

David L. Willson dlwillson at sofree.us
Fri Apr 2 09:22:56 MDT 2021

Several weeks or a few months ago, the bad guys found the very public list of lists on lists.sofree.us. They then started casually spamming the crap out of those lists. It didn't work, since the lists only accept posts from subscribers, but it did create a lot of noise for list admins. I dropped most of the other admins, so that only Heather and I would have to put up with the noise and manage the moderation queues, but... It's gotten *crazy*. The bad guys have shared their lists with other bad guys, and the spam-showers have increased from one or two brief showers per week, to one or two per *day*, and admin notices are flooding my inbox so hard that I have to hunt through my inbox for the ham. So... I need to put up a little defense.

If implementing RBLs on an MTA seems like a fun way to spend a Saturday, LMK. I'd be happy to have a friendly co-worker.

RBL - Real-time Block (or Blackhole) List
MTA - Mail Transfer Agent (an SMTP server)
LMK - Let Me Know

--
David L. Willson