[SFS] Who wants to help me put spam-resistant trousers on lists.sofree.us?

David L. Willson dlwillson at sofree.us
Sat Apr 3 13:21:34 MDT 2021

still working there?

From: "Jon Buttjer" <jontheisguy at gmail.com>
To: "dlwillson" <dlwillson at thegeek.nu>
Cc: "David L. Willson" <dlwillson at sofree.us>, "sfs" <sfs at lists.sofree.us>
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 3:56:39 PM
Subject: Re: [SFS] Who wants to help me put spam-resistant trousers on lists.sofree.us?

Ok. Let’s do it sir.
TTY Saturday 10am.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 2, 2021, at 11:00 AM, David L. Willson <dlwillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:

BQ_BEGIN

How about 10AM tomorrow on Jitsi? https://meet.jit.si/sfs-anti-spam

From: "Jon Buttjer" <jontheisguy at gmail.com>
To: "David L Willson" <dlwillson at sofree.us>
Cc: "sfs" <sfs at lists.sofree.us>
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 9:31:39 AM

David,
I'd enjoy this very much. Let me know when... and we'll get it done.

Thanks.
Jon

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 9:23 AM David L. Willson < [ mailto:dlwillson at sofree.us | dlwillson at sofree.us ] > wrote:

BQ_BEGIN

Several weeks or a few months ago, the bad guys found the very public list of lists on [ http://lists.sofree.us/ | lists.sofree.us ] . They then started casually spamming the crap out of those lists. It didn't work, since the lists only accept posts from subscribers, but it did create a lot of noise for list admins. I dropped most of the other admins, so that only Heather and I would have to put up with the noise and manage the moderation queues, but... It's gotten *crazy*. The bad guys have shared their lists with other bad guys, and the spam-showers have increased from one or two brief showers per week, to one or two per *day*, and admin notices are flooding my inbox so hard that I have to hunt through my inbox for the ham. So... I need to put up a little defense.

If implementing RBLs on an MTA seems like a fun way to spend a Saturday, LMK. I'd be happy to have a friendly co-worker.

RBL - Real-time Block (or Blackhole) List
MTA - Mail Transfer Agent (an SMTP server)
LMK - Let Me Know

--
David L. Willson

BQ_END

--
JB
Open source gives freedom from Microsoft-i-ness?! Are you free?

BQ_END