[SFS] Is it a good idea for a Internet-facing router to do more than routing?

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 15:23:03 MDT 2021

I've been looking at Freedombox, which is a project for a private home
server for non-experts.  One thing it can do is act as a home router if
you want.  The Amahi project can do the same thing. However, I remember
reading back in the 90's that you should never put other things on an
outward-facing  router.

I'm not so sure if this advice is still true.  Everything goes thru the
firewall, so if something gets thru it, your network at risk anyway.

OpenWRT lets you put services on the router too:  a print service,
Letsencrypt, OpenVPN and Wireguard, and maybe more.

What do you think?