[SFS] helpdesk / hacker hours

David L. Willson sfs@thegeek.nu
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:40:07 -0600 (MDT)

--=_5432428b-ae11-425a-acc5-94832d2cdcc8

rant warning

I think you mean "Debbie Downer" and maybe there are... But aren't there al=
so many other instances of many of the things we do? Sure, there are. We do=
n't have to find something to do that nobody else is doing. We just have to=
 find something to do, that is fun, and worth doing, and not already done t=
o death. I don't think this is done to death, yet. We haven't done it, and =
who knows, it might be fun, and we might be better at it. We sure are bette=
r at boot camps. I might be biased. :-)

Anyway, even being better is not the point. Being a happy, healthy, contrib=
uting part of an interconnected network of communities of freely-associated=
 individuals is.

My vision, you probably know, is to build freedom, to end human slavery and=
 compulsion, to leave people free to think and do what they want, as long a=
s they extend the same courtesy to me and you. I think we won't take down t=
he mighty powers of the world with a frontal assault, but with a million sm=
all stings, hundreds of thousands of small, independent and inter-dependent=
 communities of freely associated individuals that gradually, over time, lo=
se interest in financing violence and trying to control one another. Indivi=
duals and communities that are only interested in cooperative competition o=
r competitive cooperation, that love their own good ideas, are repelled by =
the idea of being forced to participate or pay for someone else's good idea=
, and so, are repelled by the idea of forcing another to participate in the=
irs, because they understand and want justice. My favorite channel is softw=
are, because that's what I understand best, but the show, and you can find =
it in lots of other channels, is freedom.

So, in short, who cares if other people are doing it? It might be fun. Ther=
e might be room for one more, or a dozen more. We might be better at it, li=
ke we are at boot camps, like we are at workshops, like the Ubuntu communit=
y is at packaging and distributing Free software. And last, we might take a=
 little more of the piss out of the (insert proprietary, monopolistic centr=
al agency here) and (insert another one here) 's of the world, leaving ever=
yone a little free-er to think, do, and make whatever the heck they please.=

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.