[SFS] What's in a UID.

David L. Anselmi anselmi@anselmi.us
Sat, 01 Feb 2014 18:13:49 -0700

During class today David mentioned working like UIDs don't matter.  So I understand that you use
names instead of IDs everywhere you can.  But is the rest a matter of using software that doesn't
care, or tricks to hide the differences, or ...?

For example, suppose the USB disk I use to move data between machines uses ext4.  I guess mount(8)
might have a way to make all the files belong to the user that's mounting it.  But if I want to let
people own files and control permissions on that disk they'd have to have the same UID on the
various machines, right?  Admittedly that might be an unusual use case.

Does root still own everything or does selinux let me label some files on removable media so root
can't see them?  (With a properly configured host of course.  Which may be moot if you plug into a
machine without selinux.  Obviously the right approach is to encrypt whatever you don't want others
to mess with.)

Thanks!
Dave