[SFS] On Security: Reset the Net & FFTF

David L. Willson DLWillson@TheGeek.NU
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:43:26 -0600 (MDT)

--=_1bb9a45a-4336-477a-aad5-387e00218749

There's a question that's been perplexing me for a while, with which I want your helpful insights, but it needs a little setup.

The NSA is evil, not our friends, our enemies in effect, if not in intent. The people are more spied upon than they understood pre-Snowden, and the NSA did not act to clear up the misunderstanding. A misunderstanding between un-related parties seems OK under certain circumstances, like when you get a "steal" at a garage sale. You might choose not to inform the person from whom you buy a valuable antique about it's market value. But, between friends there is a reasonable expectation of mutual loyalty. The NSA's very purpose is to protect the people, like a big, hairy, thuggish friend, so... long story short: they're evil. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

The people want to protect themselves from their enemies. Duh. No explanation needed.

Encryption works. This is why the NSA does "tap and gag" operations against major providers, turning them from our friends into their head-banging zombie bodyguards. They can't crack the encryption, so they do what crackers do, and crack the meat, the people involved. Unlike the regular sort of cracker, the NSA can use the judicial system as part of it's arsenal. The meat can no longer defend itself or it's friends; it has no choice but to fold the business or yield to the attack. examples: Lavabit folded. Truecrypt what? Facebook, Microsoft, and Google yielded.

So ... FFTF and Reset the Net launch an effort to get lots of providers and lots of individuals to encrypt. Makes sense, right? Right. But...

How does this *not* create a false sense of safety? How does this *not* leave us entirely vulnerable to the NSA running a "tap and gag" on the newly-encrypted, people-friendly provider, turning them into a HBZBG or just killing them outright?

That is not meant as a rhetorical question. I hope that someone at FFTF or Reset The Net or one of you thought of this, and has an answer . But maybe there's no answer, in which case...

We the people have no choice but to appeal to the legislative system for relief from "tap and gag" operations, for a renewed commitment to the right to privacy, or failing that, a renewed commitment to the right to free speech. I have little hope of success with this strategy, but it may be the only remaining peaceful solution.

It's possible I've overlooked something. In fact, I kinda hope I have.

Disclaimer: This is my own opinion, and my own question therefrom. Let my associates speak for themselves.

--
David "free hacker" Willson
This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

--=_1bb9a45a-4336-477a-aad5-387e00218749

div style=3D'font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000'=
 I want your helpful insights, but it needs a little setup.<br><br>The NSA =
is evil, not our friends, our enemies in effect, if not in intent. The peop=
le are more spied upon than they understood pre-Snowden, and the NSA did no=
t act to clear up the misunderstanding. A misunderstanding between un-relat=
ed parties seems OK under certain circumstances, like when you get a "steal=
" at a garage sale. You might choose not to inform the person from whom you=
 buy a valuable antique about it's market value. But, between friends there=
 is a reasonable expectation of mutual loyalty. The NSA's very purpose is t=
o protect the people, like a big, hairy, thuggish friend, so... long story =
short: they're evil. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree.<br><br></spa=
n><span id=3D"1db0e1d5-cb88-49a4-8e2f-e90f3b6109a8"><span id=3D"1db0e1d5-cb=
88-49a4-8e2f-e90f3b6109a8">The people want to protect themselves from their=
is why the NSA does "tap and gag" operations against major providers, turni=
ng them from our friends into their head-banging zombie bodyguards. They ca=
n't crack the encryption, so they do what crackers do, and crack the meat, =
the people involved. Unlike the regular sort of cracker, the NSA can use th=
e judicial system as part of it's arsenal.&nbsp; The meat can no longer def=
end itself or it's friends; it has no choice but to fold the business or yi=
eld to the attack. examples: Lavabit folded. Truecrypt what? Facebook, Micr=
osoft, and Google yielded.<br><br>So ... FFTF and Reset the Net launch an e=
ffort to get lots of providers and lots of individuals to encrypt. Makes se=
nse, right? Right. But...<br><br>How does this *not* create a false sense o=
f safety? How does this *not* leave us entirely vulnerable to the NSA runni=
ng a "tap and gag" on the newly-encrypted, people-friendly provider, turnin=
g them into a HBZBG or just killing them outright?<br><br>That is not meant=
 as a rhetorical question. I hope that someone at FFTF or Reset The Net or =
one of you </span><span id=3D"1db0e1d5-cb88-49a4-8e2f-e90f3b6109a8"><span i=
d=3D"1db0e1d5-cb88-49a4-8e2f-e90f3b6109a8">thought of this, and has an answ=
le have no choice but to appeal to the legislative system for relief from "=
tap and gag" operations, for a renewed commitment to the right to privacy, =
or failing that, a renewed commitment to the right to free speech. I have l=
ittle hope of success with this strategy, but it may be the only remaining =
peaceful solution.<br><br>It's possible I've overlooked something. In fact,=
 I kinda hope I have.<br><br>Disclaimer: This is my own opinion, and my own=
 question therefrom. Let my associates speak for themselves.<br><br><span n=
--=_1bb9a45a-4336-477a-aad5-387e00218749--