[SFS] Question About Licensing

Andy Leitermann andyleitermann@gmail.com
Thu, 22 May 2014 13:15:47 -0600

--001a11c1641ec0462e04fa01f0a2

I guess the main point for what I want is that if for instance, I made BSD,
MacOSX could be a closed source derivative provided that they don't attempt
to restrict people from copying MacOSX binaries. I wouldn't have a problem
with commercial use or even selling of MacOSX, but I would want to make
sure that it can't be illegal to copy.

Does the GPL2 allow for that? I'm not really getting the sense that I
understand one way or another on that matter based on what I'm reading.

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson@thegeek.nu>wrote:

> My opinion: I prefer the copyleft restriction on derivative works. I do
> not want to see our work turned into non-free derivatives. So, the usual
> licenses for works developed by or for SFS are GPL and/or CC BY SA (
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/).
>
> To your question: Are you licensing code or art?
>
> If you're licensing code, and you don't care if your licensees share alike
> (ie: you don't want copyleft), you probably want an apache or bsd license.
>
> If you're licensing art, you probably want to use a Creative Commons
> license. Then, you want to choose your license restrictions.
>
> If the licensee must give you credit as the author, add "BY" (attribution)
> If the licensee must not use the art commercially, add "NC"
> (non-commercial)
> If the licensee must not pack the art into proprietary derivative work,
> add "SA" (share-alike)
>
> If you don't care if your licensees share alike (ie: you don't want
> copyleft), and you don't care whether they give you credit (attribution),
> you probably just want CC (Creative Commons).
>
> Here for more on GNU licenses: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html
> Here for more on CC licenses: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
>
> --
> David L. Willson
> Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
> RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCLA
> Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
> http://sofree.us
>
> This is a good time for a r3VOLution.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> As I've been starting a github profile I came across a dilemma regarding
> which license to use.
>
> I have a bit of a unique view on IP - I like the GPL, but I don't believe
> people should be forced to share the source of derivative works (although I
> strongly encourage it!).
>
> The closest license I could find was Creative Commons Share-Alike
> Attribution (although the attribution wouldn't be strictly necessary as far
> as I'm concerned). But the license was written with creative works in mind
> rather than software code, so I'm a bit worried there might be unintended
> consequences using that license.
>
> So does anyone happen to know of any way that using that license would be
> 'broken' for licensing code rather than, say videos, music, or images?
>
> Also, does anyone know of another license I might be able to use that
> would fulfill those requirements? I've looked everywhere I could but found
> nothing other than the CC-SA-A.
>
> Here's one of the main tools I used for searching:
> http://choosealicense.com/licenses/
>
> Thanks!

--001a11c1641ec0462e04fa01f0a2

ance, I made BSD, MacOSX could be a closed source derivative provided that =
they don&#39;t attempt to restrict people from copying MacOSX binaries. I w=
ouldn&#39;t have a problem with commercial use or even selling of MacOSX, b=
ut I would want to make sure that it can&#39;t be illegal to copy.=C2=A0<di=
v>
 sense that I understand one way or another on that matter based on what I&=
gmail_extra">
on <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:DLWillson@thegeek.nu" target=3D"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-=
left:1ex">
"><span>My opinion: I prefer the=20
copyleft restriction on derivative works. I do not want to see our work=20
turned into non-free derivatives. So, </span>t<span>he usual licenses for=
=20
works developed by or for SFS are GPL and/or CC BY SA (<a href=3D"http://cr=
eativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/" target=3D"_blank">http://creativecom=
licensing code or art?<br>
share alike (ie: you don&#39;t want copyleft), you probably want an apache =
 to use a Creative Commons license. Then, you want to choose your license r=
estrictions.<br>
 use the art commercially, add &quot;NC&quot; (non-commercial)</span><br>
an></span><span>If you don&#39;t care if your licensees share alike (ie: yo=
u don&#39;t want copyleft), and you don&#39;t care whether they give you cr=
edit (attribution), you probably just want CC (Creative Commons).<br>
licenses.html" target=3D"_blank">https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html=
</a><br>Here for more on CC licenses: <a href=3D"http://creativecommons.org=
/licenses/" target=3D"_blank">http://creativecommons.org/licenses/</a><br>
angelist<br>RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCL=
A<br>Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)<br><a href=3D"http://sofree.us" target=3D"_b=
lank">http://sofree.us</a><br>
rgb(16,16,255);margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:norm=
al;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-=
serif;font-size:12pt">
bit of a unique view on IP - I like the GPL, but I don&#39;t believe people=
 should be forced to share the source of derivative works (although I stron=
gly encourage it!).=C2=A0</div>

hare-Alike Attribution (although the attribution wouldn&#39;t be strictly n=
ecessary as far as I&#39;m concerned). But the license was written with cre=
ative works in mind rather than software code, so I&#39;m a bit worried the=
re might be unintended consequences using that license.=C2=A0</div>

t license would be &#39;broken&#39; for licensing code rather than, say vid=
w of another license I might be able to use that would fulfill those requir=
ements? I&#39;ve looked everywhere I could but found nothing other than the=
 CC-SA-A.=C2=A0</div>

=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://choosealicense.com/licenses/" target=3D"_blank">htt=

--001a11c1641ec0462e04fa01f0a2--