[SFS] Question About Licensing

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte@gmail.com
Thu, 22 May 2014 13:25:31 -0600

--------------050102090900020600060205

Seems like you're looking for LGPL.

On 5/22/2014 1:15 PM, Andy Leitermann wrote:
> [...]
> don't attempt to restrict people from copying MacOSX binaries. I
> wouldn't have a problem with commercial use or even selling of MacOSX,
> but I would want to make sure that it can't be illegal to copy.
>
> Does the GPL2 allow for that? I'm not really getting the sense that I
> understand one way or another on that matter based on what I'm reading.
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM, David L. Willson
> <DLWillson@thegeek.nu <mailto:DLWillson@thegeek.nu>> wrote:
>
>     My opinion: I prefer the copyleft restriction on derivative works.
>     I do not want to see our work turned into non-free derivatives.
>     So, the usual licenses for works developed by or for SFS are GPL
>     and/or CC BY SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/).
>
>     To your question: Are you licensing code or art?
>
>     If you're licensing code, and you don't care if your licensees
>     share alike (ie: you don't want copyleft), you probably want an
>     apache or bsd license.
>
>     If you're licensing art, you probably want to use a Creative
>     Commons license. Then, you want to choose your license restrictions.
>
>         If the licensee must give you credit as the author, add "BY"
>         (attribution)
>         If the licensee must not use the art commercially, add "NC"
>         (non-commercial)
>         If the licensee must not pack the art into proprietary
>         derivative work, add "SA" (share-alike)
>
>     If you don't care if your licensees share alike (ie: you don't
>     want copyleft), and you don't care whether they give you credit
>     (attribution), you probably just want CC (Creative Commons).
>
>     Here for more on GNU licenses:
>     https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html
>     Here for more on CC licenses: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
>
>     --
>     David L. Willson
>     Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
>     RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCLA
>     Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
>     http://sofree.us
>
>     This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

>         As I've been starting a github profile I came across a dilemma
>         regarding which license to use.
>
>         I have a bit of a unique view on IP - I like the GPL, but I
>         don't believe people should be forced to share the source of
>         derivative works (although I strongly encourage it!).
>
>         The closest license I could find was Creative Commons
>         Share-Alike Attribution (although the attribution wouldn't be
>         strictly necessary as far as I'm concerned). But the license
>         was written with creative works in mind rather than software
>         code, so I'm a bit worried there might be unintended
>         consequences using that license.
>
>         So does anyone happen to know of any way that using that
>         license would be 'broken' for licensing code rather than, say
>         videos, music, or images?
>
>         Also, does anyone know of another license I might be able to
>         use that would fulfill those requirements? I've looked
>         everywhere I could but found nothing other than the CC-SA-A.

  <head>
  </head>
      On 5/22/2014 1:15 PM, Andy Leitermann wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAJug1rboZm1pynebwbh_Lvv8MVTLHod+DTtEqkEjprfQZD2Yxg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        for instance, I made BSD, MacOSX could be a closed source
        derivative provided that they don't attempt to restrict people
        from copying MacOSX binaries. I wouldn't have a problem with
        commercial use or even selling of MacOSX, but I would want to
        make sure that it can't be illegal to copy.
          sense that I understand one way or another on that matter
          based on what I'm reading. <br>
              David L. Willson <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:DLWillson@thegeek.nu" target="_blank">DLWillson@thegeek.nu</a>&gt;</span>
              wrote:<br>
                .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                    Roman;font-size:12pt;color:#000000"><span>My
                      opinion: I prefer the copyleft restriction on
                      derivative works. I do not want to see our work
                      turned into non-free derivatives. So, </span>t<span>he
                      usual licenses for works developed by or for SFS
                      are GPL and/or CC BY SA (<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/" target="_blank">http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/</a>).<br>
                    art?<br>
                    If you're licensing code, and you don't care if your
                    licensees share alike (ie: you don't want copyleft),
                    you probably want an apache or <span>bsd license.<br>
                      If you're licensing art, you probably want to use
                      a Creative Commons license. Then, you want to
                      choose your license restrictions.<br>
                        credit as the author, add "BY" (attribution)</span><br>
                        commercially, add "NC" (non-commercial)</span><br>
                        proprietary derivative work, add "SA"
                        (share-alike)</span><br>
                      licensees share alike (ie: you don't want
                      copyleft), and you don't care whether they give
                      you credit (attribution), you probably just want
                      CC (Creative Commons).<br>
                      Here for more on GNU licenses: <a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html"
                        target="_blank">https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html</a><br>
                      Here for more on CC licenses: <a
                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/"
                        target="_blank">http://creativecommons.org/licenses/</a><br>
                      David L. Willson<br>
                      Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist<br>
                      RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1
                      UbuntuCP NovellCLA<br>
                      Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)<br>
                      <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://sofree.us"
                        target="_blank">http://sofree.us</a><br>
                      This is a good time for a r3VOLution.<span
                        name="x"></span><br>
                    <hr>
rgb(16,16,255);margin-left:5px;padding-left:5px;color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt">
                            profile I came across a dilemma regarding
                            which license to use.
                              like the GPL, but I don't believe people
                              should be forced to share the source of
                              derivative works (although I strongly
                              encourage it!). </div>
                              Creative Commons Share-Alike Attribution
                              (although the attribution wouldn't be
                              strictly necessary as far as I'm
                              concerned). But the license was written
                              with creative works in mind rather than
                              software code, so I'm a bit worried there
                              might be unintended consequences using
                              that license. </div>
                              way that using that license would be
                              'broken' for licensing code rather than,
                              say videos, music, or images? </div>
                              license I might be able to use that would
                              fulfill those requirements? I've looked
                              everywhere I could but found nothing other
                              than the CC-SA-A. </div>
                              searching: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                href="http://choosealicense.com/licenses/"
                                target="_blank">http://choosealicense.com/licenses/</a></div>