[SFS] SFFS - Debian builds and automation

Gary A. Romero garomero@sofree.us
Mon, 25 Jul 2016 07:18:45 -0600 (MDT)

Almost forgot. The Date of the class is Aug 6th, 11:00am - 3:00pm.

Gary (Garheade) Romero

SFS Presence Monkey (http://sofree.us)
GARomero@sofree.us
Cell: 303-895-6696

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary A. Romero" <garomero@sofree.us>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:15:55 AM
Subject: [SFS] SFFS - Debian builds and automation

Hi all,

We have an exciting class happening for August's Software Freedom First Saturday!

Have you ever wanted to created your own Debian builds? What about simple debian build automations? Ever want to understand how developers create the .deb files you use in your Debian, Ubuntu or Mint distro? Than this is the class for you!

Our guest instructor Joseph Mills will be joining us remotely to show us exactly how this is done. This will also be our first class held that the Englewood public library!

Instructor: Joseph Mills
Cost: $32 / PWYC
Location: Englewood Public Library
Address: 1000 Englewood Pkwy, Englewood, CO

Desc:

Students will be eased into the Debian DPKG packaging system. Instructor Joseph Mills will be starting out with a small bash program with no dependencies and show us how to package it into a .deb file. Once we've completed that, we'll move on to more advanced packaging. After the simple packaging of the C++ and bash program are done. We'll start talking about signing the packages and how to uploade them to ubuntu and debian linux mint. After this is done we will start talking about packaging for a internal case use. Creating our own repositories and builders with checkers, mailers and all sorts of extra features.

As always, we'll need at least 4 students to hold the class so please RSVP on our meetup page (http://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/232471061/) or on our website (http://www.sofree.us/debpackagebuilding/)