[SFS] LFCS SG: Linux SysAdmin Study Group, targeting the LFCS exam: Session 0 reminder

David L. Willson dlwillson@sofree.us
Mon, 6 Jun 2016 16:20:42 -0600 (MDT)

Important: Check the TO line.

If your email address is not in the TO line, I don't know that you're interested in this study group, and this is the last you'll hear from me about it unless you fix my understanding. :-) Conversely, if you *are* on the TO line, I think you *are* interested in this Study Group. If I'm mistaken about that, let me know.

Reminder:

This Wednesday evening is session 0 of the LFCS Study Group. We'll start promptly at 7PM.

Well in advance, please test out Big Blue Button (BBB) on your computer. It can be finicky. Go to www.sofree.us and click on the big blue button in the left nav labeled "Join Class". The password is "expert". Make sure the audio test and "share your desktop" buttons work for you.

I highly recommend studying in the same room with others when possible. BBB is cool, but in-person is much cooler yet. Gary and Rich are coming to the SFS Dungeon / Comfy Room. If that's convenient to you, you're welcome here. If it's not, maybe reply-all with your location so nearby others can gather with you.

Agenda:

What is Free Software and why is freedom important to art and science?
What is SFS?
What is Linux?
What is the Linux Foundation?
What is a Linux Foundation Certified SysAdmin certified to be able to *do*, exactly?
What is the exam like?
On which Linux distributions can you choose to take the exam?
How will we study? (Virtualbox or other virtualization software)

During lab, we'll build virtual machines and networks on which to practice things. My plan is to build six: one workstation and one server of each of the approved distributions.