[SFS] Server Status

David L. Willson DLWillson@TheGeek.NU
Mon, 18 Sep 2017 02:51:11 -0600 (MDT)

------=_Part_43_28757616.1505724671450

I lost a hard drive yesterday. I was able to restore from a backup, but the backup was three weeks old.

Affected systems are:
- zimbra.thegeek.nu
- zimbra.sofree.us
- mailman.thegeek.nu
- fishes.sofree.us

My plan is to configure daily backups today.

There's a funny story here about a failing hard drive locking up the system that I had *just* setup backups on, and me diagnosing it as a problem with the backup script, and disabling the backups "until I can re-arrange things", which turned out to be three weeks later, when the hard drive stopped working completely. Lesson: Take the backups. If the system locks up during or near backups, take the backups manually and often.

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

------=_Part_43_28757616.1505724671450

div style=3D'font-family: times new roman,new york,times,serif; font-size: =
12pt; color: #000000'>I lost a hard drive yesterday. I was able to restore =
from a backup, but the backup was three weeks old.<br><br>Affected systems =
r>- fishes.sofree.us<br><br>My plan is to configure daily backups today.<br=