[SFS] Server Status

Chris Fedde chris@fedde.us
Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:54:49 -0600

--001a11442f20f370d705599111ec

Backups are such a pain until you need them.  I'm still running a dump to a
usb drive "occasionally" but for the most part the stuff I care about is
somewhere in the cloud:  VPS,  Gitlab, Google Drive.  I suppose I land on a
different part of the Venn diagram that has reliability in one circle and
security in another.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 2:51 AM, David L. Willson <DLWillson@thegeek.nu>
wrote:

> I lost a hard drive yesterday. I was able to restore from a backup, but
> the backup was three weeks old.
>
> Affected systems are:
> - zimbra.thegeek.nu
> - zimbra.sofree.us
> - mailman.thegeek.nu
> - fishes.sofree.us
>
> My plan is to configure daily backups today.
>
> There's a funny story here about a failing hard drive locking up the
> system that I had *just* setup backups on, and me diagnosing it as a
> problem with the backup script, and disabling the backups "until I can
> re-arrange things", which turned out to be three weeks later, when the hard
> drive stopped working completely. Lesson: Take the backups. If the system
> locks up during or near backups, take the backups manually and often.
>
> --
> David L. Willson
> Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist
> COA LFCS CCAH RHCE CLP
> Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)
> http://sofree.us
>
> This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

--001a11442f20f370d705599111ec

 still running a dump to a usb drive &quot;occasionally&quot; but for the m=
ost part the stuff I care about is somewhere in the cloud: =C2=A0VPS, =C2=
=A0Gitlab, Google Drive.=C2=A0 I suppose I land on a different part of the =
Venn diagram that has reliability in one circle and security in another. =
n, Sep 18, 2017 at 2:51 AM, David L. Willson <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:DLWillson@thegeek.nu" target=3D"_blank">DLWillson@thegeek.nu</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"fon=
t-family:times new roman,new york,times,serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000000"=
http://zimbra.thegeek.nu" target=3D"_blank">zimbra.thegeek.nu</a><br>- <a h=
ref=3D"http://zimbra.sofree.us" target=3D"_blank">zimbra.sofree.us</a><br>-=
#39;s a funny story here about a failing hard drive locking up the system t=
hat I had *just* setup backups on, and me diagnosing it as a problem with t=
he backup script, and disabling the backups &quot;until I can re-arrange th=
ings&quot;, which turned out to be three weeks later, when the hard drive s=