[SFS] Upcoming Events: Intro to DevOps, Hacking Hours, Fear of the Unknown in DevOps

Anthony Sayre asayre at sofree.us
Wed Feb 6 09:29:25 MST 2019

# Upcoming Events

Would you rather view the Upcoming Events in your browser? [Click here](https://gitlab.com/sofreeus/sofreeus/blob/master/upcoming-events.md)!

## Highlights

- We have 2 Community Partners for our Intro to DevOps class on February 16th! Thank you, in advance to ASG and Apex!
- We still have some funding assistance available for Intro to DevOps class too! Ask us about it if you want to go but could really use some help to pay. We don;t want that to be an obstacle for those in need.
- We do office calls and custom courses. Just send an email to captains at sofree.us.
- Got a passion for something free-libre and want to share it? [Join the Teachers ML](lists.sofree.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sfs-teachers)

---

SFS board-member Anthony Sayre and his CTO Dusty Smith will be presenting at Denver DevOps meetup on Feb 13th:

## Fear of the unknown in DevOps – Brain dump of lessons from ASG’s Elastic Journey

You know how technology often solves one problem…. But then creates new entirely unexpected problems?

Emerging platforms like the Elastic Stack can help manage modern complex IT environments but the this law of unintended consequences definitely applies here...

Wednesday, February 13, 2019
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
at Code Talent

[RSVP Here!](https://www.meetup.com/DenverDevOps/events/mrrpmpyzdbrb/)

# SFS EVENTS @ CODE

## Hacking Hours

The Software Freedom School is hosting Hacking Hours this weekend!

We get together from time to time just to work on our side projects. If you feel like joining us, bring your side project down and lets all work on it together!

[RSVP Here!](https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/258703953/)

Saturday, February 9, 2019
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
At the Comfy Room

## Intro To DevOps

We'll use Linux, Bash, Git, Gitlab, Docker, and AWS to create minimum viable DevOps continuous integration pipelines on our laptops. This class is based on content created by Aaron Brown, systems engineer and VP of DevOps at Flowhub.com. Aaron will be on-hand for questions and discussion.

Also some talk about learning through community, collaboration, and the concept of teaching others as learning/career development.

Saturday, February 16th
9AM - 5PM MST
at Code Talent

[RSVP Here!](https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/257482237/)

## AGHI2 GitLab and GitLab.com

During this gentle, hands-on introduction to GitLab
We'll create pretend products (probably cheese sandwiches or pies).
We'll create product teams.
We'll iterate on our pretend products so quickly that our BitBucket/GitHub using competition will be driven into financial distress and then we will poach their developers. Muhhahah!
And a whole lot more....

Saturday, May 4th
9AM - 1PM MST
at Code Talent

[RSVP Here!](https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/257902517/)

## Events In-planning

You can't RSVP to these yet.

* SFS Method: Plan to deliver a better class! with David L. Willson
* Docker with Duncan
* Containers from scratch with Go! with Derek

## Reminders

* We are lifelong learners. Please share learning opportunities, even if they're not produced by SFS.
* We are friends. You can post just about anything, but if it doesn't have to do with learning free-libre software, stick an "OT:" in front of it.
* We are professionals (when we must be). Please post your help wanted and job wanted here.
* Come hang out with us in [Mattermost](https://mm.sofree.us/sfs-team/channels/town-square)!