[SFS] School-build status

David L. Willson DLWillson@TheGeek.NU
Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:02:19 -0600 (MDT)

--=_87d890b4-fe6a-4492-95c7-b157cf3863d7

I have the $1000 starter fund put together. I have decided to name this the "emergency fund" and not to use it, except to resolve emergencies, like dead projectors and other sorts of failures that try to derail an event.

Troy and I ran into some technical problems (my microphones all suck) and some bio-problems (my spine sucks) on Sunday when we tried to record a podcast. Between mechanical and physiological failures, I had to call it a day pretty early in the afternoon. So, I've decided to share some unedited journal entries with you. All I'm going to do is compress them to ogg audio and ogg video and post them on my server in the basement. One day soon, I'll figure out torrent'ing and/or get a real hosting package, so you all don't have to share my puny band-width.

This week I'm thinking about and working on:

- Starting a conference call for those of us who want to contribute time, talent, and/or treasure to building this school can talk about what is being done, and what ought to be done.
- rsync screen-cast: "How to backup your system to an internal hard-drive, external USB drive, or a remote server, using rsync."
- still want to do a podcast with Troy Ridgley
- putting together a "Build your own RT (Request Tracker) server" session, for later this month.
- nailing down the KVM class in late June
- moving forward with the Linux immersion weekend (LPI-101) for July? August?
- PostgreSQL!!! (gentle hands-on introduction or series?)

Suggestions?

The challenge area most on mind lately is how we get the list of classes out to all the folks that might be interested... I want to reach normals intent on becoming geek enough to be somewhat self-supporting, geeks in the middle, and hard-core vets looking to broaden their knowledge during a direct social interaction in meat-space. I know there's no perfect recipe for this, but I want to come up with a good marketing mix.

And... That's all for now. I'll send you a link after I post the files.

--
David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

--=_87d890b4-fe6a-4492-95c7-b157cf3863d7

div style=3D'font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000'=
>I have the $1000 starter fund put together. I have decided to name this th=
e "emergency fund" and not to use it, except to resolve emergencies, like d=
ead projectors and other sorts of failures that try to derail an event.<br>=
nd some bio-problems (my spine sucks) on Sunday when we tried to record a p=
odcast. Between mechanical and physiological failures, I had to call it a d=
ay pretty early in the afternoon. So, I've decided to share some unedited j=
ournal entries with you. All I'm going to do is compress them to ogg audio =
and ogg video and post them on my server in the basement. One day soon, I'l=
l figure out torrent'ing and/or get a real hosting package, so you all don'=
t have to share my puny band-width.<br><br>This week I'm thinking about and=
 working on:<br><br>&nbsp;- Starting a conference call for those of us who =
want to contribute time, talent, and/or treasure to building this school ca=
n talk about what is being done, and what ought to be done.<br>&nbsp;- rsyn=
c screen-cast: "How to backup your system to an internal hard-drive, extern=
al USB drive, or a remote server, using rsync."<br>&nbsp;- still want to do=
 a podcast with Troy Ridgley<br>&nbsp;- putting together a "Build your own =
RT (Request Tracker) server" session, for later this month.<br>&nbsp;- nail=
ing down the KVM class in late June<br>&nbsp;- moving forward with the Linu=
x immersion weekend (LPI-101) for July? August?<br>&nbsp;- PostgreSQL!!! (g=
challenge area most on mind lately is how we get the list of classes out to=
 all the folks that might be interested... I want to reach normals intent o=
n becoming geek enough to be somewhat self-supporting, geeks in the middle,=
 and hard-core vets looking to broaden their knowledge during a direct soci=
al interaction in meat-space. I know there's no perfect recipe for this, bu=
t I want to come up with a good marketing mix.<br><br>And... That's all for=
 L. Willson<br>Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast<br>RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPI=
--=_87d890b4-fe6a-4492-95c7-b157cf3863d7--