[SFS] Email Server

Chris Fedde sfs@thegeek.nu
Tue, 24 Dec 2013 09:43:34 -0700

--089e0115eaf4fe81ab04ee4a71c9

Active Directory is one of the better LDAP implementations out there.  It
is stable and usually well managed. And it provides a common identity
management base for all your systems.  The best part about it is that
someone else gets to manage it for me.  If it is available then I'd make
use of it.

AD 2008 and beyond can be set up to provide and maintain the unix standard
NIS schema attributes. Once that is enabled and operational you can then
teach all your linux accounts and applications to use the standard LDAP
authentication methods using nsswitch.conf, ldap.conf, pam_ldap and the
application configuration files.

If you are running a recent Exchange in addition to AD then using it with a
linux IMAP or POP client works pretty well and the OWA web interface works
well enough in chrome and firefox from linux.

In a linux only environment I have run openldap, sendmail, dovecot,
spamassassin, and squirrel mail.
Others around here like Zimbra which iirc bundles most of the functionality
under one umbrella.

Any more, if I'm starting from the ground, I'd outsource all this stuff to
one of the cloud providers.   there are several to choose from.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Kevin Byrne <kbyrne9000@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what is everyone's thought on the easiest / most automatic way to get
> email / webmail setup?
>
> I am looking for AD (yeap a dirty word) integration. Cost should be
> between -1$ and 1$.
>
> I was looking at roundcube for the front end, however I am stumped on the
> backend and what will be easy / work with round cube (I got a few
> candidates however what to poke all your brains)
>
> As always, thanks for your help.
>
> P.S. I will be setting up a pfsense box in the next week, so there may be
> blood ;(

--089e0115eaf4fe81ab04ee4a71c9

tions out there.=A0 It is stable and usually well managed. And it provides =
a common identity management base for all your systems.=A0 The best part ab=
out it is that someone else gets to manage it for me.=A0 If it is available=
 then I&#39;d make use of it.<br>
ard NIS schema attributes. Once that is enabled and operational you can the=
n teach all your linux accounts and applications to use the standard LDAP a=
uthentication methods using nsswitch.conf, ldap.conf, pam_ldap and the appl=
ication configuration files.<br>
using it with a linux IMAP or POP client works pretty well and the OWA web =
interface works well enough in chrome and firefox from linux.<br><br>In a l=
inux only environment I have run openldap, sendmail, dovecot, spamassassin,=
 and squirrel mail.=A0 <br>
ting from the ground, I&#39;d outsource all this stuff to one of the cloud =
providers.=A0=A0 there are several to choose from.<br>
On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Kevin Byrne <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:kbyrne9000@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">kbyrne9000@gmail.com</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"font-family:=
arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px">So what is everyone&#39;s thought on the e=
asiest / most automatic way to get email / webmail setup?</span><div style=
=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px">

ooking for AD (yeap a dirty word) integration. Cost should be between -1$ a=

ing at roundcube for the front end, however I am stumped on the backend and=
 what will be easy / work with round cube (I got a few candidates however w=
hat to poke all your brains)</div>

tyle=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px">As always, thanks for =
your help.</div><div style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px">=

l be setting up a pfsense box in the next week, so there may be blood ;(</d=
iv></div>

--089e0115eaf4fe81ab04ee4a71c9--