[SFS] Linux Camp: YMCA Snow Mountain Rance recon report

David L. Willson sfs@thegeek.nu
Sun, 09 Jun 2013 14:38:17 -0600 (MDT)

--=_f8d0b77e-9e37-4fe1-96ed-d3ae247a2e59

Dear friends, especially those interested in Linux Camp,

Heather and I went to Snow Mountain Ranch last night, and looked at a cabin today that is representative of the one we plan to rent in August for Linux Camp.

Heather may have more to say later, but I'll throw out some thoughts now.

It looks pretty awesome for our purposes.

The cabin we saw has 4 full bathrooms and plenty of beds of varying sizes from bunks to doubles. You will have to share a room with one or more others. You won't have to share a bed. But you can if you want to, I guess.

There are ~tons~ of things to do there, other than study Linux. You might even have time to do some of them. I noticed: frisbee golf stations, a recreation center, a pool, mini golf, hiking trails, and lots of friendly staff to pose questions to. One staffer even knew what Linux is, and thinks this camp idea is pretty cool.

You should bring a buddy. The overall structure I'm planning is heavily "pair" oriented, one person runs the console, and the other one advises, then they swap roles and repeat the activity.

In addition to the usual, you should bring a mountain bike, hiking shoes, a frisbee, a favorite game, and/or a favorite movie. Or, if you tend to get over-stimulated, maybe bring ear-plugs and a sleeping mask. If you get over-socialized, use the hiking shoes.

There are plenty of places right in SMR to buy the thing you forgot to bring with you: drinks, snacks, supplies, whatever... but they're some distance from the cabin. ie: You won't be walking to the candy machine in your socks at midnight. Everything else you might need is available in Winter Park, about a 20-minute drive.

You can show up as early as 3PM on Wednesday, and leave the cabin as late as 10AM on Monday. If you're in the cabin on a non-teaching day, I reserve the right to put you to work. As a matter of fact, I double that right on teaching days.

Smoking is outdoors only, and may have location restrictions if the risk of fire is high. We can check when we get there. Right now, the risk is low, but there are a few months before we head up. The cabin we saw had a fire-pit within 5 minutes walk, and a coffee-can with an inch of sand is a good solution.

--
David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.

--=_f8d0b77e-9e37-4fe1-96ed-d3ae247a2e59

div style=3D'font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000'=
>Dear friends, especially those interested in Linux Camp,<br><br>Heather an=
d I went to Snow Mountain Ranch last night, and looked at a cabin today tha=
t is representative of the one we plan to rent in August for Linux Camp.<br=
w has 4 full bathrooms and plenty of beds of varying sizes from bunks to do=
ubles. You will have to share a room with one or more others. You won't hav=
e to share a bed. But you can if you want to, I guess.<br><br>There are ~to=
ns~ of things to do there, other than study Linux. You might even have time=
 to do some of them. I noticed: frisbee golf stations, a recreation center,=
 a pool, mini golf, hiking trails, and lots of friendly staff to pose quest=
ions to. One staffer even knew what Linux is, and thinks this camp idea is =
pretty cool.<br><br>You should bring a buddy. The overall structure I'm pla=
nning is heavily "pair" oriented, one person runs the console, and the othe=
r one advises, then they swap roles and repeat the activity.<br><br>In addi=
tion to the usual, you should bring a mountain bike, hiking shoes, a frisbe=
e, a favorite game, and/or a favorite movie. Or, if you tend to get over-st=
imulated, maybe bring ear-plugs and a sleeping mask. If you get over-social=
ized, use the hiking shoes.<br><br>There are plenty of places right in SMR =
to buy the thing you forgot to bring with you: drinks, snacks, supplies, wh=
atever... but they're some distance from the cabin. ie: You won't be walkin=
g to the candy machine in your socks at midnight. Everything else you might=
 need is available in Winter Park, about a 20-minute drive.<br><br>You can =
show up as early as 3PM on Wednesday, and leave the cabin as late as 10AM o=
n Monday. If you're in the cabin on a non-teaching day, I reserve the right=
 to put you to work. As a matter of fact, I double that right on teaching d=
ays.<br><br>Smoking is outdoors only, and may have location restrictions if=
 the risk of fire is high. We can check when we get there. Right now, the r=
isk is low, but there are a few months before we head up. The cabin we saw =
had a fire-pit within 5 minutes walk, and a coffee-can with an inch of sand=
er, Enthusiast<br>RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu<br>Mobile 720-333-L=
--=_f8d0b77e-9e37-4fe1-96ed-d3ae247a2e59--