Linux Showdown (was Re: [SFS] OT: Old-time radio zombie podcast)

Mike Nolte sfs@thegeek.nu
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 23:24:27 -0700

--047d7b6dc152099f8504eab88d10

We have it pretty good if we're dissing Apache.  Guessing that a lot of us
probably don't have much else to do on a Friday night but stoke a flame
war, and flamboyant on sushi and sake, I'll assert my own experience with
RHEL and why companies use it.  You didn't actually name preferable
alternatives, so that's the best that I can do.

1. Someone has a business idea, convinces some investors that it's a good
one, and a start-up forms.  The mindset of start-ups tends to be that they
will either be acquired or defunct before their 10-year office lease
expires, and they accordingly plan for the near term.  RedHat is the only
company that formally supports their platform, and nobody will want to
acquire a platform without any support, so RedHat is the chosen OS.

2.  The business idea is probably a slight variation of an existing one,
and the entire model hinges on hiring someone who brings code over from
their previous employer, now their competitor.

3. A skeleton infrastructure needs to be slapped together.  Inexpensive
designers are hired, and the company starts doling out lofty titles, in
lieu of a vision, guidance, or compensation.

4. RedHat is deployed, in a manner befitting the "Chief Platform Architect"
(formerly Windows Tech Support, Level I).  Issues inevitably arise, and
those fires are fought as fast as their resolutions can be
copied-and-pasted from Google.  From here, it's really Choose Your Own
Adventure, where 5 is "success" and 6 is failure.

5. C-levels shmooze, the impromptu cast keeps things afloat, and a buyer is
found.  Initial capitalists are rewarded, while the rest of the staff is
stuck either supporting the existing environment, or canned outright.  If
the start-up used RedHat, they eventually realize that it's been
side-stepping its licensing fees for years and smack the new owner with
hefty charges.  Everyone wins...?

6. After months of inconsistent cash flow, the start-up misses a pay period
or two, assuring its employees that it's just an issue of liquidity.  The
talented, employable personnel leaves for greenback-er pastures, and things
spiral inevitably downward.

I guess it's possible that someone could try to spin something up with some
BSD incarnation, but I've never seen it attempted, outside of academia...

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi@anselmi.us>wrote:

> Gary A. Romero wrote:
>
>> You did better then me. I did learn that I need to know a lot more about
>> apache!
>>

> I like the way the answers showed you how to verify that your changes
> worked--but I don't think you get the top time if you do those steps.  One
> of the things I didn't do was restart services and checking would have made
> that more obvious.
>
> But I wonder.  Sure, if you want to be a LAMP monkey the day 1 stuff might
> be a good test.  But the next time I install a web server it probably won't
> be apache.  It will be something simpler and lighter weight.  Of course the
> companies that insist on running RHEL will also probably use apache.
>

> Dave

--047d7b6dc152099f8504eab88d10

ssing that a lot of us probably don&#39;t have much else to do on a Friday =
night but stoke a flame war, and flamboyant on sushi and sake, I&#39;ll ass=
ert my own experience with RHEL and why companies use it. =A0You didn&#39;t=
 actually name preferable alternatives, so that&#39;s the best that I can d=
o.<div>

39;s a good one, and a start-up forms. =A0The mindset of start-ups tends to=
 be that they will either be acquired or defunct before their 10-year offic=
e lease expires, and they accordingly plan for the near term. =A0RedHat is =
the only company that formally supports their platform, and nobody will wan=
t to acquire a platform without any support, so RedHat is the chosen OS.</d=
iv>

of an existing one, and the entire model hinges on hiring someone who bring=
s code over from their previous employer, now their competitor.=A0</div><di=
v>

=A0Inexpensive designers are hired, and the company starts doling out lofty=
v>

Architect&quot; (formerly Windows Tech Support, Level I). =A0Issues inevita=
bly arise, and those fires are fought as fast as their resolutions can be c=
opied-and-pasted from Google. =A0From here, it&#39;s really Choose Your Own=
 Adventure, where 5 is &quot;success&quot; and 6 is failure.</div>

loat, and a buyer is found. =A0Initial capitalists are rewarded, while the =
rest of the staff is stuck either supporting the existing environment, or c=
anned outright. =A0If the start-up used RedHat, they eventually realize tha=
t it&#39;s been side-stepping its licensing fees for years and smack the ne=
w owner with hefty charges. =A0Everyone wins...?</div>

art-up misses a pay period or two, assuring its employees that it&#39;s jus=
t an issue of liquidity. =A0The talented, employable personnel leaves for g=
reenback-er pastures, and things spiral inevitably downward.</div>

n something up with some BSD incarnation, but I&#39;ve never seen it attemp=
i <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:anselmi@anselmi.us" target=3D"_bl=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:=
1ex">
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
You did better then me. I did learn that I need to know a lot more about ap=
ache!<br>
I like the way the answers showed you how to verify that your changes worke=
d--but I don&#39;t think you get the top time if you do those steps. =A0One=
 of the things I didn&#39;t do was restart services and checking would have=
 made that more obvious.<br>

But I wonder. =A0Sure, if you want to be a LAMP monkey the day 1 stuff migh=
t be a good test. =A0But the next time I install a web server it probably w=
on&#39;t be apache. =A0It will be something simpler and lighter weight. =A0=
Of course the companies that insist on running RHEL will also probably use =
apache.<div class=3D"HOEnZb">
Dave<br>