[SFS] What do you call a Pi Lab without Pi?

Kevin Byrne sfs@thegeek.nu
Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:56:23 -0600

--047d7b624e2afb6fec04e8ca762b

Ignore this email, I missed the scope of everything. Sorry.

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013, Kevin Byrne wrote:

> I would personally not every build a grossely underpowered NAS. The PI
> just cant push the bit over the network let alone run anything outside a
> RAID 0/1 config. You need tons of ram and at least an AMD Fusion Style or
> Intel Celeron Processor. I run some NAS/SAN hybrid openfiler 2.99.02
> systems on some HP MicroServers (N40L) with some intel e1000e cards tossed
> in there. I still have a hard time saturating a Gig line (Raid 6 with 8
> gigs of ram in the boxes. Using 6x WD Red 3TB drives). I have seen people
> run NAS even single drive SSD on a PI and they can't even crack 15/20
> MB/sec (not even able to saturate USB 2.0).
>
> Personally if you want something cool to play with and are hankering for a
> fun project Get an IBM or HP basic workstation/server. Newegg has the i3
> series ones on sale for under 300 all the time. Then try to build a cloud
> with VDI on it. Include a website, webdav file space, email server, and
> desktop delivery system. Use those pi's as endpoints and do it with only
> open software... NOW that would be fun (ok and geeky). Just my 2 cents ;)
>
> On Tuesday, October 15, 2013, wrote:
>
>> Three more to what I already suggested.  I don't know what level of
>> interest and expertise these kids have.
>>
>> NAS
>> Network backup
>> Amahi home server, assuming it has been ported over.  The drawback is
>> that it uses Fedora.  It would be nice if it was packages that could be
>> installed on any distro.  Maybe creating an equivalent would be a good
>> project.
>> ------------------------------

Ignore this email, I missed the scope of everything. Sorry.<br><br>On Tuesd=
ay, October 15, 2013, Kevin Byrne  wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=

I would personally not every build a grossely underpowered NAS. The PI just=
 cant push the bit over the network let alone run anything outside a RAID 0=
/1 config. You need tons of ram and at least an AMD Fusion Style or Intel C=
eleron Processor. I run some NAS/SAN hybrid openfiler 2.99.02 systems on so=
me HP MicroServers (N40L) with some intel e1000e cards tossed in there. I s=
till have a hard time saturating a Gig line (Raid 6 with 8 gigs of ram in t=
he boxes. Using 6x=A0WD Red 3TB drives). I have seen people run NAS even si=
ngle drive SSD on a PI and they can&#39;t even crack 15/20 MB/sec (not even=
 able to saturate USB 2.0).<div>

ankering for a fun project Get an IBM or HP basic workstation/server. Neweg=
g has the i3 series ones on sale for under 300 all the time. Then try to bu=
ild a cloud with VDI on it. Include a website, webdav file space, email ser=
ver, and desktop delivery system. Use those pi&#39;s as endpoints and do it=
 with only open software... NOW that would be fun (ok and geeky). Just my 2=
 cents ;)<br>

ote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex=
hat I already suggested.=A0 I don&#39;t know what level of interest and exp=
ertise these kids have.<br>

ahi home server, assuming it has been ported over.=A0 The drawback is that =
it uses Fedora.=A0 It would be nice if it was packages that could be instal=
led on any distro.=A0 Maybe creating an equivalent would be a good project.=

ica,Arial,sans-serif;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal"><b>From: </b>=
i?<br>
remote management.<br>2. Build a game server and configure clients to conne=

iv><br></div>&quot;Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, =
very good; and when it is bad, it is better than nothing.&quot; Dick Brando=
n<br>

Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:03:38 AM<br>Subject: Re: [SFS] What do yo=
g fun to do with 3 older laptops, 3 RPi&#39;s, 3 BeagleBone Blacks, a small=
 bag of teenagers, and a network? <br>

ect: Re: [SFS] What do you call a Pi Lab without Pi? <br><div>
or you. The graphics resolution isn&#39;t as high, in case that is importan=
t to you. There is internal flash memory too, but it might not be as conven=
ient to boot from the microSD chip as it is on the Pi. <br>

r>Subject: Re: [SFS] What do you call a Pi Lab without Pi? <br>

uot;David L. Willson&quot; &lt;DLWillson@TheGeek.NU&gt; <br>To: &quot;sfs&q=
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 9:59:22 PM <br>Subject: [SFS] What do you ca=
on for reminding me why I&#39;m so darn conflicted about the Raspberry Pi, =
and why I keep thinking there&#39;s probably a better single-board computer=
 for our Pi Lab. <br>

/2013/10/arduino-creator-explains-why-open-source-matters-in-hardware-too/"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/ar=
duino-creator-explains-why-open-source-matters-in-hardware-too/</a> <br>

t <br>RHCE+Satellite CCAH Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 UbuntuCP NovellCLA <br>=
r3VOLution. <br>

man/listinfo/sfs</a> <br>