[SFS] Free computer science/programming lessons

Alessandro Fanfarillo elfanfa@ucar.edu
Wed, 21 May 2014 17:34:36 -0600

Hi,

C, Fortran and even Matlab have free compilers/interpreter. GCC (the
compiler) supports nicely C and Fortran, Octave is the open source
version of Matlab (same language with small differences).

I do not have a car and if I remember correctly the Concoctory is in
downtown Denver; it should not be a problem reach it by bus. It may work
but a four-hour class requires a program and has to be planned for a
specific audience (basic, intermediate, advanced level). Obviously the
basic level is easier to prepare on my side.
I propose you something different but still interesting: a parallel
programming class on MPI and OpenMP. For MPI there are several free
alternatives like OpenMPI, MPICH2, ecc... OpenMP is natively supported
by GCC. Another alternative could be a class on CUDA but it requires
NVidia GPUs.