[SFS] Note Taking - What do you recommend

Matt James matuse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:08:40 MDT 2018

I've gone around and around with various tools.  I've used OneNote a
handful of times - it worked great in college when I was taking tons of
hand written notes - I had a windows tablet that let me take notes
electronically and OneNote was extremely good for this task.  It allowed
handwritten stuff and typed notes as well as "special" stuff - graphs,
equations, sketches, etc. to all live harmoniously together.  Evernote does
this as well - to a certain degree.  However - these are proprietary and
pay for and come with that certain level of pain in the ass that I grew
tired of.

So - now - I have a combination of a simple text file called "notes" that
gets synced across my PCs and phone.  Sometimes the simple thing "just
works" and doesn't require any special BS.  Grep + text = easy.  I also
archive _lots_ of stuff to gmail / google photos.  I've gotten used to
enough of the googleisms to be able to search and find what I'm looking for
extremely quickly.  I also keep hand written notes on a legal pad but these
are typically more transient in nature (what's the IP for this thing that I
need to go triage right this minute? or phone numbers for the insurance
agent that I just looked up online but only need for the next week or so
while I get quotes, etc.)  Once those things become more permanent in
nature I add them to my notes or contacts or appropriate documentation,
etc.

I also find myself keeping lots of "super important and not public"
information in my password vault - keepass.  That's encrypted and synced
across my devices as well.  ex: I keep copies of my tax returns in there.

FWIW,

Matt