[SFS] May the Fourth ... Comfy Room ... The Gathering!

SFS Heather hlwillson at sofree.us
Fri May 3 07:25:05 MDT 2024

Sorry all... I forgot the Meetup link!
https://www.meetup.com/sofreeus/events/298862318/

Heather L. Willson
Software Freedom School
303-229-3633
[ mailto:hlwillson at sofree.us | hlwillson at sofree.us ]
...where learning is libre...

From: "Heather L. Willson" <hlwillson at sofree.us>
To: "sfs" <sfs at lists.sofree.us>
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2024 7:24:18 AM
Subject: May the Fourth ... Comfy Room ... The Gathering!

Join SFS THIS Saturday in the Comfy Room (preferred) or online (see post) for The Gathering/Small is Beautiful!

Topics:
1. Alan Robertson -This talk is about why secrets are hard to secure on a computer, and how this difficulty affects computer mediated elections.

    * A demonstration of managing physical secrets using a lock box
    * What kinds of data needs to be secret in an election
    * Why is it hard to secure any secret data on a computer
    * How secret data is stored on election computers
    * How might one do a better job of securing critical secrets, and corresponding difficulties

2. Jeff Haemer - A Bit of Bash: How Does a Shell Work?
One way to understand shells better is to write one. I'll do that in a live demo. To keep it simple, I'll write that shell in bash.
"Really???" Really. "No way!" Way.
Come watch me face plant.